Temple Baptist Church - 7-7-2019
Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.
1 Thessalonians 5:16 Rejoice evermore.
A. Last week, we saw that abiding in Christ brings about the joy of the Lord in the life of the Christian. How can one walk in fellowship and harmony with Christ Jesus and not have that inner joy and peace that comes through being with Him?
B. Rejoicing is an outward expression of an inner joy! When your joy becomes “full” it overflows in tears and praise. There is an old saying, “When your cup gets full, the saucer gets the blessing!”
C. The word “rejoice” in its various forms is found 258x in your King James Bible. It is found only 212x in the now popular ESV. Rejoicing is left out of the ESV46x! Throw the new versions in the garbage can and GET YOU AN OLD KING JAMES BIBLE!!!
1. The First Mention - Exodus 18:8-9 And Moses told his father in law all that the LORD had done unto Pharaoh and to the Egyptians for Israel's sake, and all the travail that had come upon them by the way, and how the LORD delivered them. (9) And Jethro rejoiced for all the goodness which the LORD had done to Israel, whom he had delivered out of the hand of the Egyptians.
2. The Last Mention - Revelation 19:7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.
D. I want to look at the latter part of this verse again this morning. “That your joy might be full!” “Fulness of joy.”
1. Our Joy Comes Through Fellowship - Psalms 16:11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there arepleasures for evermore.
2. Our Joy Comes Through Faith - Philippians 1:25 And having this confidence, I know that I shall abide and continue with you all for your furtherance and joy of faith;
3. Our Joy Comes Through Faithfulness - Psalms 84:4 Blessed arethey that dwell in thy house: they will be still praising thee. Selah.
E. One of our favorite revival verses is: Psalms 85:6 Wilt thou not revive us again: that thy people may rejoice in thee?
1. Some would say that we need revival in order to have more zeal for the Lord, but the Holy Ghost said we need rejoicing!
2. Some would say that we need revival in order to initiate soul winning in the church, but the Holy Ghost said we need rejoicing!
3. Some would say that we need revival in order to increase the giving of God’s people, but the Holy Ghost said we need rejoicing!
4. Some would say that we need revival in order to love one another more fervently, but the Holy Ghost said we need rejoicing!
5. The Psalmist said that we need revival in order to “rejoice in thee.”
F. Revival means to come alive. Religion dampens and despises rejoicing by calling it emotionalism, but God promotes rejoicing and requires it! A right relationship with the Lord encourages rejoicing and calls it “Revival!”
G. I want to look at rejoicing from a biblical perspective and then we will be able to see why the Lord placed so much emphasis on both joy and rejoicing.
H. Philippians 4:4 says, “Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.” Notice with me that the verse says to “rejoice in the Lord alway.”
1. To rejoice in all times and all seasons. In season and out of season!
2. To rejoice in all conditions and all circumstances.
I. It is easy to rejoice when you are up on the mountain but, how can we rejoice in the bad times? By being full of the joy of the Lord. Keeping our hearts and minds stayed up on Him and not our surroundings.
J. Rejoicing is an important part of our Christian experience because of what it produces in us.
THE RESULTS OF REJOICING
1. Rejoicing Invigorates Our Soul Winning - Psalms 51:12-13 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit. 13 Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
a. David was not a witness when his sinfulness took his joy!
b. When our witness fails, we need revival!
2. Rejoicing Improves Our Service - Acts 5:41-42 And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name. 42 And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.
2 Corinthians 8:2 How that in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded unto the riches of their liberality.
3. Rejoicing Initiates Our Fellowship - 1 Corinthians 12:26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.
Proverbs 15:13 A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance: but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken. (Rejoicing is contagious.)
Acts 2:46-47 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, 47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.
4. Rejoicing Increases Our Strength - Nehemiah 8:10 Then he said unto them, Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared: for this day is holy unto our Lord: neither be ye sorry; for the joy of the LORD is your strength.
Isaiah 61:10 I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom deckethhimself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels.
5. Rejoicing Introduces Our Testimony - Philippians 1:25-27 And having this confidence, I know that I shall abide and continue with you all for your furtherance and joy of faith; 26 That your rejoicing may be more abundant in Jesus Christ for me by my coming to you again. 27 Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel; (The world watches us!)
Acts 16:23-25 And when they had laid many stripes upon them, they castthem into prison, charging the jailor to keep them safely: 24 Who, having received such a charge, thrust them into the inner prison, and made their feet fast in the stocks. 25 And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.
Conclusion: We are all different in our makeup, but rejoicing is a command of God. We can rejoice in different ways: in tears, in testimonies, in singing, in vocal praise, but we are all to rejoice! Don’t let the devil or circumstances rob you of your rejoicing or joy!