Temple Baptist Church - 1-13-2019
A. Verse 11 – The Nation of Israel rejected Christ and the Gospel was then preached to the Gentiles. As the Nation of Israel slumbers, the Church of the Living God grows.
B. The diminishing of the Jews became the riches of the Gentiles. We are saved tonight because of the graciousness of God.
C. Verse 11 – the rise of the Church stimulated jealousy in Israel.
D. Verse 14 – “Emulation” – to excite or stimulate to rivalry. Through the mercy and wisdom of God, the diminishing spiritually of Israel has been a blessing to the world.
1. The Establishment of the Church, the body of Christ. Verse 11 – “through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles.”
2. The Enrichment of the world. Verse 12 – “the riches of the Gentiles.” We have prospered because of the dispersion of the Jew. Look at the science that they have brought to us; look at the riches they have brought to us.
3. The Establishment of the Nation of Israel. Verse 11 – “for to provoke them to jealousy.” Jealousy will show someone where their true love lies and bring them back to where they belong. Jews are now returning to the Promised Land through the help of the Gentile nations
E. Verse 15 – National Regeneration of Israel. “what shall the receiving of them be.” Ezekiel, chapter 37, “The Valley of the Dry Bones.”
F. Verse 16 – National Re-consecration. “For if the firstfruit be holy, the lumpis also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.” Israel will once again turn to God in true holiness, not outward Phariseeism.
G. Verses 16, 32 – National Reconstruction. “for God is able to graff them in again.” Israel is one of the most powerful nations on earth.
1. Most people only see one side of God.
a. Some only see His goodness. (normally these are liberal thinkers)
1) All will be in Heaven one day.
2) There is no literal burning Hell.
b. Some only see His severity. (normally these are pharisaical thinkers)
1) They do not understand God’s love.
2) They do not understand God’s grace.
3) They do not understand God’s longsuffering.
2. An individual needs a proper perspective of God.
a. God is good - 1 Chronicles 16:34 O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever.
1) God Is Good Because Of His Mercy (Mercy is not getting what you deserve) - Lamentations 3:22-23 It is of the LORD’S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.
2) God Is Good Because Of His Love - Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
3) God Is Good Because Of His Grace (Grace is getting what you do not deserve) - Ephesians 2:7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
4) God Is Good Because Of His Longsuffering - Romans 2:4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
2 Peter 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
b. God is severe - Hebrews 10:31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. Hebrews 12:29 For our God is a consuming fire.
1) The Flood - Genesis 6:7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
2) Sodom and Gomorrah - Genesis 19:24 Then the LORD rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven;
3) Nadab and Abihu - Leviticus 10:1-2 And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the LORD, which he commanded them not. And there went out fire from the LORD, and devoured them, and they died before the LORD.
4) Korah - Numbers 16:31-34 And it came to pass, as he had made an end of speaking all these words, that the ground clave asunder that was under them: And the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed them up, and their houses, and all the men that [appertained] unto Korah, and all their goods. They, and all that appertained to them, went down alive into the pit, and the earth closed upon them: and they perished from among the congregation. And all Israel that were round about them fled at the cry of them: for they said, Lest the earth swallow us up also.
5) Mt. Ebal and Mr. Gerizim - Deuteronomy 11:26-27 Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse; A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day:
6) Ananias and Sapphira - Acts 5:5, 10 And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things. Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband.
7) The list could go on – 1 Corinthians 10:6-12 Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted. Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them; as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play. Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand. Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed of serpents. Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer. Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come. Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.
1. God Is Good To The Nation That Fears Him.
Psalms 33:12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance.
Psalms 144:15 Happy is that people, that is in such a case: yea, happy is that people, whose God is the LORD.
God Is Severe To The Nation That Rejects Him.
Psalms 9:17 The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.
Deuteronomy 29:28 And the LORD rooted them out of their land in anger, and in wrath, and in great indignation, and cast them into another land, as it is this day.
2. God Is Good To The Saint That Fears Him.
Psalms 34:7 The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them.
Psalms 111:5 He hath given meat unto them that fear him: he will ever be mindful of his covenant.
Psalms 147:11 The LORD taketh pleasure in them that fear him, in those that hope in his mercy.
God Is Severe To The Saint That Refuses To Serve Him.
Hebrews 10:26-31 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. He that despised Moses’ law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
1 Corinthians 5:5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
1 Corinthians 11:30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
3. God Is Good To The Sinner That Accepts His Salvation.
John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
Psalms 40:2-3 He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.
God Is Severe To The Sinner That Rejects His Salvation.
Revelation 14:10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:
Proverbs 1:24-29 Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded; But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof: I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh; When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you. Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me: For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD:
Romans 2:9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;