Temple Baptist Church - 11-25-2018
John 1:14; 1 Corinthians 1:29-31
A. As we begin the Christmas Season, I want our hearts and minds to turn towards Christ. Christ and sinners are the reason for the season.
B. Salvation was made in such a way that no man could ever glory in self. So many people and denominations of our day believe that they are either good enough to be saved or good enough to stay saved.
1. They have a wrong perception of self. Romans 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. (These people or denominations believe that they are much more spiritual than the Apostle Paul. I call that pride.)
2. They have a wrong perception of sin. Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (They may admit that they are sinners, but they classify sin by saying that they are not that bad of a sinner.)
3. They have a wrong perception of salvation. Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: (9) Not of works, lest any man should boast. (These people and denominations have no concept of the righteousness that is required for salvation. It is the imputed righteousness of the sinless Son of God!)
C. The key word in our text is “made.” God had to do something special, something extraordinary for mankind as man could not save or keep himself.
D. The word “made” means to make something that would not be naturally found. A lady makes a cake from ingredients that would have never come together would be a good illustration. This morning, our bed was made.
E. I want to look at what our Lord Jesus Christ, in His incarnation, was made.
1. What Christ Was Made For The World - 1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
a. He was made flesh - John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,)full of grace and truth.
Matthew 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
b. He was made of a woman - Galatians 4:4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law.
Genesis 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
c. He was made of seed of David - Romans 1:3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh.
Luke 1:32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:
d. He was made of no reputation - Philippians 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
Isaiah 53:2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.
e. He was made in likeness of man - Philippians 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
Hebrews 10:5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
f. He was made lower than angels - Hebrews 2:7 Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands:
Hebrews 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
g. He was made under the law - Galatians 4:4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law.
Colossians 2:13-14 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having orgiven you all trespasses; Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
h. He was made a curse - Galatians 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree.
Galatians 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
i. He was made sin - 2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
1 John 3:5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
2. What Christ Is Made Unto Us – vs. 30. (These are by His grace, mercy, power, and for His glory. “Of him are ye in Christ.”)
a. Christ Is Made Unto Us Wisdom.
1) By The Spirit - 1 Corinthians 2:11-15 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
2 Corinthians 4:6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
Ephesians 1:17-18 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
2) By The Scriptures - Proverbs 2:6 For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.
Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
Proverbs 1:2 To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;
Proverbs 4:5 Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.
b. Christ Is Made Unto Us Righteousness.
1) Our Guilt – We Are Deserve Retribution - Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
Ezekiel 18:4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.
James 1:15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of Godis eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
2) His Grace – We Are Declared Righteous - James 2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
Romans 4:9-13 Cometh this blessedness then upon the circumcision only, or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness. How was it then reckoned? when he was in circumcision, or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision. And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also: And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised. For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.
c. Christ Is Made Unto Us Sanctification.
1) Set Apart From The World - John 17:14-16 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil. They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
2) Set Apart For Heaven
1 Corinthians 15:47-48 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven. As is the earthy, suchare they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such arethey also that are heavenly.
1 Corinthians 15:49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.
2 Corinthians 5:1-2 For we know that if our earthly house ofthis tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:
Ephesians 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
Ephesians 2:6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
d. Christ Is Made Unto Us Redemption.
Romans 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
1) From The Body Of Sin - Romans 6:9-18 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him. For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God. Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord. Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof. Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God. For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid. Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness? But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
2) From The Bondage Of Death - Hebrews 2:14-15 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.
Romans 8:22-23 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now. And not onlythey, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.1. The power of God (1 Cor. 1:24)
Conclusion: Simple? If it had not been for the love of God and the gift of His Son, there would have been no redemption!
“He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord!”