Temple Baptist Church - 11-25-2018
A. Paul laments Isaiah’s report that not all had obeyed the gospel of Christ. Nationally, Israel has now rejected the Messiah. A remnant is being saved but the majority have not “obeyed the gospel” and turned to their own righteousness as a means of trying to be saved. (10:3, 16)
B. Israel had a sordid history of rebellion against God.
1. Israel had heard the gospel preached. Verses 11:16-18.
Luke 16:27-31 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: (28) For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. (29) Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. (30) And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. (31) And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.
2. When Israel turned from the gospel, God brought it to the gentiles who received it. Verses 10:19-20.
3. Israel’s description of a rebellious nation is found in verse 21;“But to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people!”
C. This has been the case every day since Isaiah, chapters 52-53, were written. John 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not. (Their rebellion was manifested in three ways.)
1. Their Attitude Toward “The Promise of Salvation In Christ.” Their rejection of the Person of Christ
2. Their Approach Toward “The Plan of Salvation In Christ.” Their rejection of the Propitiation of Christ.
3. Their Antagonism Toward “The Preaching of Salvation In Christ.” Their rejection of the Preaching of Christ.
D. Despite Israel’s national rejection of the Messiah, Jesus Christ, there were still many who believed upon Him and were gloriously saved.
Romans 11:5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.
E. Why was there some who believed?
1. Because there was a God who continued to love. Romans 10:21 But to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people.
2. Because there were some who continued to Seek. Romans 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? (Though most rejected, there were those who still sought the truth.)
3. Because there was a Word that was still powerful to save. Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
4. Because there were some who continued to Preach. Romans 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
5. Because there was a Grace still available to whosoever will. Romans 10:12-13 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. (13) For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.