Sunday, November 29, 2015

Thanking God For A Satisfied Life

Temple Baptist Church - 11-29-2015
Psalms 103:1-5


Introduction: 

A.  We have been preaching on these verses for several weeks now.  What a blessing it is to sit back and take a look at the whole picture of our lives and know that we are blessed!  David had his share of problems, setbacks, disappointments, and failures but knew that God had blessed his life from beginning to end.  Too often, we find the bad times the focus of our attention instead of the big picture.  Life is hard and short!

B.  Thanksgiving is over but we are to be a thankful people 365 days a year.  Many get disturbed over Thanksgiving and Christmas being overlapped.  I do not!  I think that Thanksgiving through Christmas is truly the most wonderful time of the year and my mind goes to the blessedness of Christ throughout.

C.  David tells his soul, the seat of his affections, to bless the Lord.  In Bible College, we often said, “Bless the Lord anyhow!”  It may not be good English but it is good theology and advice.  God is good.

D.  David blessed the Lord for all of His benefits which included, up to this point, his great forgiveness of sins along with his good health.

E.  David blessed the Lord for a hedged life.  The Lord not only spiritually saved him but He also saved David’s life from the destruction of sin, self, and Satan!  Look around at where you are and then take a look at the destruction of sin in the lives of people that you know and say, “But for the grace of God go I!”  God changed your desires and your direction when He saved you.

F.  We live in days of lack of contentment and satisfaction.  People are neither content or satisfied with who they are no what they have. 

1.  More is never enough!  Not only the world, but God’s people lack satisfaction and contentment.  Preachers are possibly the worst of all in this area.  Some continually move because they never learn contentment.  This morning, you are looking at a contented man! 

2.  The Bible says much about contentment.  We need to be a contented people but satisfaction is another matter.  Let me explain the difference.  Contentment does not mean that you necessarily like your situation but it is livable!  You will improve it if you can but, if you cannot, then it will be alright.  Satisfaction is entirely different. 

a)  Contentment is something that needs to be sought!  Timothy 6:6-7   But godliness with contentment is great gain.

b)  Contentment is something that must be learned!  Philippians 4:11  Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.  (I had the privilege to go see Miss Linda’s mother in Hospice House the other day.  She is bedfast and it was Thanksgiving.  I began to talk with her about blessings.  You may think that is odd but, before I left, we were singing together: “There’s a roof up above me, I’ve a good place to sleep, there’s food on my table, and shoes on my feet.  You gave me your love, Lord, and a fine family.  Thank you, Lord, for your blessings on me!”  I thank the Lord that I left her with a smile on her face.  For a few minutes, she was content.  For a few minutes, she was satisfied!)

c)  Contentment is something that must be realized!  Hebrews 13:5  Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

Luke 12:15  And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man’s life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.

G.  When you are satisfied, you want no more.  When I have eaten to the point that I am not still overly hungry, I can be in a state of contentment.  When I have eaten to my fill, I am satisfied and want no more.  This morning, I want to look at verse 4: “Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle’s.” 

1.  I Am Satisfied With My Salvation: In Christ alone, full, free, and eternal! “That God should love a sinner such as I; how wonderful is love like this?”

John 4:13-14  Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:  (14)  But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

2.  I Am Satisfied With My Deliverance:  From self to Christ, from darkness to light, death to life, bondage to liberty, rebellion to loving submission!  He delivered me; He is delivering me; and He shall deliver me!

2 Timothy 4:17-18  Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion.  (18)  And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
           
3. I Am Satisfied With My Bible: leads us and guides us, protects us and provides for us, encourages, it assures us, and it matures us.  You can trade “bibles” all you want but I am satisfied with the old King James Bible! 

Psalms 119:97  O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.

4.  I Am Satisfied With My Church:  I neither want nor would have any other! The best people in the world grace these pews!

1 Corinthians 16:24  My love be with you all in Christ Jesus. Amen.

5.  I Am Satisfied With My Future: as Bro. Jim used to say, “All of this and heaven too!”  One day just like today and it could be today, I will be finally home!  O, that will be glory for me!

Psalms 17:15  As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness.

6.  I Am Satisfied With My Life: a wonderful wife, a wonderful family, a wonderful life, a wonderful ministry, and the list could go on all day!  You can have your money, houses, and land!  I have plenty; I have enough; I have all that I want or need!

Psalms 103:5  Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's.

Conclusion:  Let us be a happy people, especially over the next month as now our hearts turn to the wonderful birth of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.  The best things in life cannot be bought!  You can be content and not be happy but you cannot be satisfied and not be happy!

Isaiah 55:2  Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread? and your labour for that which satisfieth not? hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness

No comments: