Temple Baptist Church - 11-25-2015
2 John 8
A. 2 John is all about apathy and apostasy.
1. The two actually go together as the battle against apostasy must be a fervent fight. The enemy is united against truth and wages constant war against everything the local church stands or should stand for.
2. Satan hates God, God’s people, and God’s churches! Do not think that he will ever let up or give up in the fight against truth.
B. I learned long ago to never over estimate or under estimate your enemy as both can be fatal mistakes.
1. Do not over estimate Satan! Satan is limited! Satan is limited in both his ability (he is not omniscient; he is not omnipresent; he is not omnipotent) and the scope in which the Lord allows him to operate (though he is the “god of this world,” God has set boundaries that Satan cannot go beyond). As Job was hedged in the Old Testament, we are also hedged about in our day. Satan is on a spiritual leash.
Job 1:10 Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land.
2. Do not under estimate Satan! Satan is a formidable adversary! The Charismatic Movement has made Satan someone that they can command and cast out. I understand that, in the early days of the church, God gave certain men that power, but those were the transitional years of the early church when the canon of Scripture was not completed. Now, the partial or passing gifts given to the Apostolic Church have passed away: tongues, hands on healing, dreams and visions, the ability to see into the future, etc. Satan is powerful and knowledgeable! He is deceptive and destructive!
1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
C. The local church, along with individual believers, is under a sustained attack.
1. We are to withstand and stand. Withstand means to take a punch. To stand means to be unmoved by the attack of the enemy. Ephesians 6:13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
2. We are to be aware of Satan’s tactics. He infiltrates and divides within the local church. Ephesians 6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
2 Corinthians 2:11 Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.
D. John said that we could be in danger of losing the things which we have wrought. We have the duty of self-inspection. “Look to yourselves!”
1. Wrought means to labor or toil for. In other words, we have labored hard and long to keep things biblical in our church and, if not careful, we can lose them along with rewards at the Judgment Seat of Christ.
2. Once these things are compromised or lost, they become almost impossible to get back. Revelation 3:1-2 And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead. (2) Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.
E. What does Satan want us to lose?
1. Our fervent, immovable stand on the King James Bible. So many people, preachers, and churches have gone to the modern, satanic versions or allow others to use them when in the SS classes or pulpit. If you do not why they are satanic, inbox me and I will gladly give you the information that you need.
2. Our fervent, immovable stand on Sanctification and Separation. Most people, preachers, and churches have gotten “casual with God” in our day. This is still God’s church and should be respected as such. God is still a thrice holy God and needs to be respected as much.
3. Our fervent, immovable stand against the Contemporary Music crowd. I have problems with the music as well as those who promote it. The Contemporary Music singers are worldly along with their music. I want our music and singers to glorify the Lord in both their music and their lives.
4. Our fervent, immovable stand to create a godly environment to raise our children in. We want our children to be involved with other children of like precious faith and standards. The church is to reinforce the teaching of the parents as they strive to raise their children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. The parents are to reinforce the teaching of the pastor and church in the same manner.
5. Our fervent, immovable stand to establish and keep a godly testimony in our community. People are church watchers. They may or may not attend church but they are aware of subtle changes that take place as they see us come to worship. They read our ever changing electronic sign and the messages that scroll across it. They may not even like us but they should respect us.
Conclusion: We, here at Temple Baptist Church, have fought long and hard to maintain a proper testimony before the Lord, our families, our friends, and in our community. Such a testimony can be destroyed in a minute by just putting “Contemporary Worship Service” on our sign!