Temple Baptist Church - 9-27-2015
A. Our Lord began these verses with “Verily, verily!”
1. These words indicate a subject of special importance.
2. These words were used to denote a clear and certain revelation.
B. Here we find one of the greatest passages of Scripture dealing with salvation, death, and eternal judgment. I once say this upon a sign: “Life is short, death is sure, sin the cause, and Christ the cure.”
C. There are two hearings found in these verses that I want to look at this morning.
1. The Hearing of Salvation - Vs 24-26 “The dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.” The dead in verse 25 is a reference to the spiritually dead or unsaved. Notice that they “hear the voice of the Son of God” which is a reference to the Word of God, the Bible. Those who answer that call to salvation become God’s children.
a. Salvation’s Agent – “heareth my word” - Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
Romans 10:16-17 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? (17) So then faithcometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
b. Salvation’s Acceptance – “believeth on him” - John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
1 John 5:10-13 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. (11) And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. (12) He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. (13) These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
c. Salvation’s Attribute – “everlasting life” - John 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall anyman pluck them out of my hand.
d. Salvation’s Appointment – “and now is” - 2 Corinthians 6:2 (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)
e. Salvation’s Assurance – “shall not come into condemnation” - Romans 10:12-13 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. (13) For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
2. The Hearing of Judgment – Vs 27-29 “All that are in the graves shall hear his voice” are those who have died, either in the Lord or without the Lord. Here, we find one of the Bible Gaps recorded. The Resurrection of Life is for those who have “done good” or heard and heeded God’s call to salvation through God’s Word. This resurrection is found in 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 and takes place prior to the beginning of Jacob’s Trouble or the Tribulation Period. The Resurrection of Damnation is for those who have “done evil” or rejected God’s Word and call to salvation This resurrection takes place at the end of the Millennial Reign of our Lord Jesus Christ in Revelation 20:11-15. The lapse of time between these two resurrections is app. 1007 years.
a. The Appointment of Death - Vs 27 - Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
b. The Appointment of Judgment – Vs 28-29 - Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
c. The Judgment Seat of Christ for the Saved - The works of the saved are judged here, not the sins of the saved as Calvary is a finished work and covers it all! Praise God!
1 Corinthians 3:14-15 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. (15) If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.
d. The Great White Throne Judgment for the Unsaved or Spiritually Dead – The unsaved are judged for their works!
Revelation 20:11-15 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. (12) And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. (13) And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. (14) And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. (15) And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
1) They are resurrected to stand before God. “And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God … And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them”
2) The books are opened and they are judged according to their works. “and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works”
3) They are cast into the eternal Lake of Fire. “And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire”
Conclusion: I Thank the Lord that I heard His voice many years ago, believed on Christ, and passed from death to life. If you are here without Christ this morning, you need to hear and heed His call.