Sunday, September 6, 2015

The Victory of God

Temple Baptist Church - 9-6-2015
1 Chronicles 29:10-13
 
Introduction:
 
A.  Because God is great, sovereign, powerful, and glorious—He is victorious!  God’s power and will cannot be withstood by any force at any time.  God created all and is over all.
 
Psalms 24:8  Who is this King of glory? The LORD strong and mighty, the LORD mighty in battle.
 
1.  Satan defied God in heaven and was defeated.  Isaiah 14:13-15  For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:  (14)  I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.  (15)  Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.  (Satan and all of his devils hves no power against the Almighty!  One day, they will eternally reside in a place prepared for them called hell.)
 
2.  Governments have defied God and lie in ruins.  Exodus 15:3-6  The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.  (4)  Pharaoh's chariots and his host hath he cast into the sea: his chosen captains also are drowned in the Red sea.  (5)  The depths have covered them: they sank into the bottom as a stone.  (6)  Thy right hand, O LORD, is become glorious in power: thy right hand, O LORD, hath dashed in pieces the enemy.  (With many governments and nations, God showed His longsuffering and mercy but, ultimately when they continued to defey Him, the Almighty took these nations down.  America will not be the first to withstand His justice.)
 
Psalms 9:17  The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.
 
3.  Men have tried to defy God and have not prevailed. Proverbs 1:24-29  Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded;  (25)  But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:  (26)  I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;  (27)  When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.  (28)  Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me:  (29)  For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD:  (The Almighty is longsuffering with mankind and His mercy abounds but, one day, those who have defied Him will be cast into a Lake of Fire and there abide for an eternity.)
 
B.  I thank the Lord that I am His and He is mine!  He who can do all things is there with us and for us.  Hebrews 13:5  Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
 
Romans 8:31  What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
 
1 John 4:4  Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
 
Psalms 118:6  The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?
 
C.  We are victorious already in Jesus Christ.  1 John 5:4  For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
 
D.  There are so many ways that we have the victory in this world but I will just name a few. 
     
1.  Through Jesus Christ, we are victorious in salvation.  John 5:24  Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.  (I want to say once more that if the Lord never did anything else for you and me, His payment for our sin along with an eternal salvation that is free of charge is enough!  The Lord sought me when I was not looking for Him, loved me when I was not loveable, helped me when I could not help myself, and saved my unrighteous soul so that I can live with Him forever in heaven!)
 
2.  Through Jesus Christ, we are victorious over sin.  Romans 6:14  For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.  (Sin becomes the master.  Sinners not only cannot cease from sin, they love sin and are comfortable living in it.  When salvation comes, sin no longer has dominion over the child of God.  No addiction or habit that cannot be stopped.)
 
3.  Through Jesus Christ, we are victorious over self.  1 Corinthians 9:27  But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.  (Our flesh is strong, rotten to the core, and always actively pulling us from the Lord.  We can control our flesh as one aspect of the fruit of the Spirit is temperance.  Thanks be unto God who gives us the victory over this temporal, sinful flesh.)
 
4.  Through Jesus Christ, we are victorious over Satan.  James 4:7  Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.  (Satan is a formidable foe!  He is called a dragon, likened unto a roaring lion because he is a destroyer!  He is powerful and the “god of this world.”  We can defeat him here in this life and, thank the Lord, will judge him in the afterlife.  The Bible says that we will judge angels.  We cannot defeat him in the power of self but can in the power of God.)
 
5.  Through Jesus Christ, we are victorious over our circumstances. Philippians 4:11-13  Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.  (12)  I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.  (13)  I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.  (Often, in dire circumstances, we feel that the Lord does not care.  The world seems to gain the advantage and we often get the “short end of the stick.”  We do not always get either what we want or what we think that we should get but are victorious through it all.  God grace is sufficient, His peace overwhelming, and strength availiable.)
 
Romans 8:35-37  Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?  (36)  As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.  (37)  Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
 
6.  Through Jesus Christ, we are victorious over death.  1 Corinthians 15:51-57  Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,  (52)  In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.  (53)  For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.  (54)  So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.  (55)  O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?  (56)  The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.  (57)  But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.  (Death to the child of God is gain.  “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.”  God’s people die well!)
 
7.  Through Jesus Christ, we are victorious over hell.  Revelation 20:6  Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.  (What a blessed promise.  I have no fear of death.  It is gone for me and God sees us as already on the other side, seated in heavenly places in Christ Jesus!)
 

No comments: