Temple Baptist Church - 7-26-2026
Ephesians 4:1-16
Introduction:
A. Barbara and I had to miss the last night of Revival this past Wednesday. We were about to get ready to dress for church, but I knew that I could not go because I had been sick since the Tuesday night service. I waited until almost the last minute before calling Clint to take over. I called Brother Holbrooks to let him know. Then I was sick both physically and spiritually because I felt that I was letting our church down!
B. We were watching the service online (at least Barbara was and I was listening because the world was going round and round for me) and wanted so badly to be there.
C. The next day, I was flooded with calls and texts asking how we were doing, and I expected it! I greatly appreciated that, but a couple of our members said that nothing is the same when you are not there. The whole service was not right without the pastor and his wife being there with the people.
D. I hope that never changes! Not that I want a service to be less than it needs to be, but because I believe that it emphasizes the importance of the pastor being there. This should be the response of all the people. Why, because God made it to be that way.
Ephesians 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
E. You pastor is a very important part of your church! He is God’s gift to you! Heavenly gifts are given based upon two things:
1. God’s love for His church! Ephesians 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
2. God knowledge of your need! Ephesians 5:26-27 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, (27) That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
F. You need your pastor! God made it that way! Sheep without a shepherd will soon lose their direction, divide and scatter, and fall prey to their enemies. God’s people are like sheep.
Matthew 9:36 says, “But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd.”
G. I want to look at the person and position of the pastor tonight in order to help you better understand what God is doing in your life through the pastor that God gave to you. Not just any man because there are many good men of God out there. God chose and sent me to you!
1. The Pastor Is God’s Man – Ephesians 4:11-12 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
a. Be careful how you treat him because he is God’s man!
b. Be careful how you talk about him because he is God’s man!
2. The Pastor Is Just A Man – vs. 6 - 1 Corinthians 2:3 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.
a. He has feelings. I do not let you know what I think or feel for the most part because I am never here to discourage you. I am here to encourage you!
b. He has faults. I am not a perfect man!
c. He has failures. I have and will make mistakes.
d. Learn to pray for me!
3. The Pastor Is Your Man – vs. 8 - Jeremiah 3:15 And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding.
a. He is your gift. I belong to you! Use me well and use me right. I cannot do everything nor be everywhere. I am getting older and wear out quicker. I need my rest.
b. He is your friend. In your darkest hour, I will be there for you.
4. The Pastor Is Often A Hated Man – vs. 9-13 - 2 Timothy 4:14 Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil: the Lord reward him according to his works:
a. He is hated because of the stand that he takes. I preach and teach a perfect Word to an imperfect person through imperfect lips.
b. He is hated because of the Word he preaches. Many will not like be because I will not compromise the Bible, doctrines, or my preaching. If your spiritual phone rings, pick it up and say “Hello.” I just dialed a number without knowing who was on the other end. I just put God’s letter into your mailbox.
c. He is hated because of the Lord he represents. The world has a wrong perspective of who the Lord is. He is a thrice holy God in whom is no darkness at all. Never bring Him down to your level, you live godly and strive to reach His!
5. The Pastor Is A Loving Man – vs. 14-15 - 2 Corinthians 12:15 And I will very gladly spend and be spent for you; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I be loved.
a. He loves the Lord.
b. He loves the Word.
c. He loves the saints.
d. He loves sinners.
e. He loved you!
6. The Pastor Is Beseeching Man – vs. 16-17 - Hebrews 13:22 And I beseech you, brethren, suffer the word of exhortation: for I have written a letter unto you in few words. (Paul used the word beseech 24 times in the Book of Acts and the Pauline Epistles.)
a. He desires only the best for you.
b. He desires only the best for your family.
c. He desires only the best for the church.
7. The Pastor Is A Concerned Man – vs. 18-21 - 2 Corinthians 11:2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.
a. He watches over you.
b. He worries over you.
No comments:
Post a Comment