Sunday, August 18, 2024

Whom Having Not Seen, Ye Love

 Temple Baptist Church - 8-18-2024

John 20:24-29; 1 Peter 1:1-10

 

Introduction:

 

A.  Our text in 1 Peter finds its example in John, chapter 20, where resides a story well known to most of us here today.  The story of “Doubting Thomas.”  I do not want to deal with Thomas but do put a disclaimer on his “tag.”  Thomas was more than likely a better Christian than I will ever be.

 

B.  I want to tie these verses in John 20 to our text verses in 1 Peter 1.

 

John 20:28-29  And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.  29  Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

 

1 Peter 1:8  Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:

 

C. I have not seen what Thomas saw.

 

1.  I have never seen Christ’s nail pierced hands, or Hise spear pierced side. 

 

2.  I have never seen His person, walked with the physical Christ, handled Him as found in 1 John, chapter 1,or heard His voice with my ears.

 

3.  BUT I have seen Him through the Word of God and had His precious Holy Spirit speak to my heart with that still, small voice. 

 

4.  I have believed the record that God gave of His Son in 1 John, chapter 5, and I have placed my faith in a in a finished work called the Gospel. 

 

5.  I have not seen but I have believed, and I will one day meet Christ or the first time face-to-face.  Then I shall be like Him for I shall see Him as He is in 1 John 3:1-2. 

 

D.  It is amazing that we, as God’s children, have so loved One whom we have never seen with the physical eye.

 

1.  The world thinks that we are schizophrenic!  I know that they would not use that terminology when speaking of us but, to them, we are nuts who believe in Someone whom we have not seen; talk with Someone Whom we have not seen; and listen to Him who cannot be heard.  “Bring the “Butterfly Net!”

 

2.  The world knows nothing of the love that the believer has.  It is a love for friends and enemies alike.  It is a love for one another that is as close and often closer than the love that we have for blood family.   It is love that the world knows nothing about.  It is a love that only the child of God can know.

 

E.  As Jesus Christ paid a terrible price because He so loved these displaced, scattered Jews who to this day continue to pay a terrible price for their love of the Messiah, Christ Jesus.

 

1.  Our love for Christ is a Reciprocal Love.  1 John 4:19  We love him, because he first loved us.

 

2.  Our love for Christ is a Separating Love.  Matthew 10:37  He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.,

 

3.  Our love for Christ is an Obedient Love.  John 14:21  He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

 

4.  Our love for Christ is a Constraining Love.  2 Corinthians 5:14-15  For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:  (15)  And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.

 

5.  Our love for Christ is a Suffering Love.  1 Peter 1:6-7  Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:  (7)  That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

 

F.  Though it was a “faceless” love, it was not a “baseless” love!  The first 9 verses show the basis of this great love that God’s children have for the Lord Jesus Christ.

 

1.  We Love Him For His Marvelous Grace – vs. 2

 

2.  We Love Him For His Glorious Peace – vs. 2

 

3.  We Love Him For His Great Salvation – vs. 3

 

4.  We Love Him For His Wonderful Prospect – vs. 4

 

5.  We Love Him For His Blessed Assurance – vs. 5

 

6.  We Love Him For His Infinite Wisdom – vs. 6-7

 

7.  We I Love Him For His Unspeakable Joy – vs. 8

 

8.  We Love Him For His Promised Eternity – vs. 9

 

Conclusion:  This morning, do you love the Christ that you have never seen.

No comments: