Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Peace in Tribulation

 Temple Baptist Church - 5-29-2024

John 16:25-33

 

Introduction: 

 

A.  Tonight, we will end John, chapter 16.  In our verses for tonight, we find the reiteration of the context beginning with John 14:1 and ending with John 16:33.

 

B.  The Lord spent three chapters making sure that the disciples would be comforted by the coming of the Comforter and have faith and peace in the tribulations that would come upon them.

 

C.  The will of Christ for His disciples was for their hearts not to be troubled because He was leaving.

 

John 14:1  Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.

 

John 14:27  Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

 

John 16:33  These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

 

D.  In chapter 17 of the Book of John, we will find Christ Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane interceding for not only His disciples but for all of His children who will come later.

 

E.  Our Lord wants His children in these last days to have the same faith and peace!  Last week, we looked at “that your joy may be full!” 

 

John 16:24  Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.

 

1.  This is the will of God for you and me.  “Joy full” makes one “Joyful!” 

 

2.  Now, the choice belongs to each of us.  A heart ruled by joyfulness or a heart ruled by fearfulness.  You choose!

 

Colossians 3:15-17  And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.  (We must allow peace to rule.)

 

F.  Now, to the crux of the matter.  God promised the disciples “tribulation” in this world.  Promised the disciples and prophesied to the rest of us.  If we think that this world is going to get better, we had better think again.  The Bible says that things will wax worse and worse as we approach that day when Christ will come for His own.

 

G.  Here is our Lord’s promise of peace.  John 16:33  These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

 

H.  Four times in the Gospels, our Lord used the words “O ye of little faith.”

 

1.  Little Faith pertaining to Clothing.  Matthew 6:30 (Also Luke 12:28) Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith? 

 

Interesting that the Lord never mentioned a roof over your head as He spoke of His having none for Himself and the servant is not greater than his Master.

 

Matthew 8:20  And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.

 

2.  Little Faith pertaining to Circumstances.  Matthew 8:26  And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith  ? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm. 

 

Master, carest thou not that we perish and He was in their boat.  The Lord does not have to swim AND NEITHER DID THEY!

 

3.  Little Faith pertaining to Cuisine.  Matthew 16:8  Which when Jesus perceived, he said unto them, O ye of little faith, why reason ye among yourselves, because ye have brought no bread?

 

J.  When writing to the church at Thessalonica, Paul said this:  “Now the Lord of peace himself give you peace always by all meansThe Lord be with you all. (2 Thessalonians 3:16)

 

1.  “The Lord … give you … the Lord be with you”  “Always by all means” – in both the good and bad times.  “By all means” – God has given to us precious promises in the Bible that will instill peace in our hearts.

 

2.  Anytime, anywhere!  Every time, everywhere!  The God of peace will give to each of us His wonderful peace.

 

“Peace, peace, wonderful peace; coming down from the Father above; sweep over my spirit forever I pray; in fathomless billows of love!”

 

K.  God’s desire for His children is that they have peace in all things which includes all our tribulation and troubles.  The disciples’ problem was simple: a lack of faith in what the Lord said.

 

L.  Their lack of faith involved the Person of the Son of God and also the Truth of the Word of God.  So is our lack of peace today!  The Bible says:

 

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  (6)  In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.” (Proverbs 3:5-6) 

 

Does that sounds simple enough to quote and should be simple enough to live.  Hello?

 

M.  Here are some areas of our lives where there is often a lack of peace through a lack of faith. 

 

1.  Peace in our Salvation.  I thank the Lord for assurance of salvation.  Everything else takes second place which is first loser.   

 

Psalms 62:5-8  My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him.  (6)  He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved.  (7)  In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.  (8)  Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.

 

2.  Peace in our Promises.  I thank the Lord for the promise of peace to those whose mind is “stayed” on the Lord. 

 

Isaiah 26:3-4  Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.  (4)  Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:

 

3.  Peace in our Companionship.  I thank the Lord that I am never alone. 

 

Hebrews 13:5  Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

 

4.  Peace in our Supply.  I don’t know what tomorrow will be like for America, but I know that the One who feeds the sparrow will feed me. 

 

Philippians 4:19  But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

 

5.  Peace in our Protection.  The Lord has and will continue to take care of His children. 

 

1 John 4:4  Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

 

6.  Peace in our Predicaments.  No matter what comes, there will be peace in the storms of life.

 

Isaiah 43:2  When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.

 

7.  Peace in our Persecution.  Barbara and I have stood where no person should ever stand and can assure you that God will be there with and for you when it is your turn.

 

2 Timothy 4:16-17  At my first answer no man stood with me, but all men forsook me: I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge.  (17)  Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion.

 

John 16:33  These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

No comments: