Sunday, October 29, 2023

The Psalm of Mercies - The LORD My Salvation

Temple Baptist Church - 10-29-2023

Psalm 118:5-14

 

Introduction: 

 

A.  Psalms 118 is a Praise Psalm with the mercies of God in mind.  Jerimiah wrote of such mercies in the Book of Lamentation and says, “It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed …”!

 

Lamentations 3:22-23  It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. 

 

1.  We can make an application to being saved from the penalties of our sinfulness.  God has certainly been merciful to each of this because His “compassions fail not!”  The Lord loves His children as a father and mother love their child.  He loves us when we are sad, bad, and glad!  His compassions fail not!

 

2.  We can make an application to being saved from our enemies and circumstances.  I believe that this is consistent with Psalm 118.

 

a)  Saved from Sin.

 

b)  Saved from Self.

 

c)  Saved from Society.

 

d)  Saved from Situations.

 

e)  Saved from Satan.

 

B.  Psalms 23:6  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

 

1.  “Surely” – an affirmation.  You can “take it to the bank!”  God’s promises, they also fail not!

 

2.  “Goodness and mercy” – An unconditional promise.  We get better than we deserve (goodness) and we get less than we deserve (mercy).

 

3.  “Shall follow me all the days of my life” – For as long as we may live.  They follow me when I go right and make right decisions; they follow me when I go wrong and make wrong decisions!

 

C.  I want to break down verses 5-14.  When troubles and trials come, we are to rely upon the Lord.

 

Psalms 56:3  What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.

 

1.  Verse 5.  I called and the Lord delivered me.  Psalms 34:4  I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.

 

Proverbs 3:5-6  Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  (6)  In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

 

1 Peter 5:7  Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

 

2.  Verse 6.  My confidence in the Lord rewarded me with peace.  John 14:27  Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

 

Philippians 4:9  Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

 

3.  Verse 7.  The Lord protected me from my enemies.  Psalms 9:9  The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble.

 

Isaiah 59:19  So shall they fear the name of the LORD from the west, and his glory from the rising of the sun. When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him.

 

4.  Verses 8-9.  Confidence in the things of the world fails but confidence in the Lord never fails.  Psalms 20:7  Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.

 

Hebrews 10:35-37  Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.  (36)  For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.  (37)  For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry.

 

5.  Verses 10-12.  The world hates me and tries to destroy me, but the Lord loves me and gives me victory.  1 John 5:4-5  For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.  (5)  Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

 

1 Corinthians 15:57  But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

 

6.  Verse 13.  When I am about to fall, the Lord holds me up and I shall not be moved.  Psalms 145:14  The LORD upholdeth all that fall, and raiseth up all those that be bowed down.

 

Psalms 3:2-6  Many there be which say of my soul, There is no help for him in God. Selah.  (3)  But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.  (4)  I cried unto the LORD with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah.  (5)  I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the LORD sustained me.  (6)  I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about.

 

7.  Verse 14.  The Lord is my strength; the Lord is my song; and the Lord IS BECOME my Salvation.  “I’m so glad I learned to trust Thee.”  The Lord is “become” my salvation?  Become – to come to pass; continuance, to develop into or to convert.

 

a.  When I am in trouble:  Psalms 18:35-36  Thou hast also given me the shield of thy salvation: and thy right hand hath holden me up, and thy gentleness hath made me great.  (36)  Thou hast enlarged my steps under me, that my feet did not slip.

 

b.  When I am sad:  Job 35:10  But none saith, Where is God my maker, who giveth songs in the night;

 

Psalms 3:3  But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.

 

c.  When I am overcome:  Isaiah 12:1-6  And in that day thou shalt say, O LORD, I will praise thee: though thou wast angry with me, thine anger is turned away, and thou comfortedst me.  (2)  Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.  (3)  Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation.  (4)  And in that day shall ye say, Praise the LORD, call upon his name, declare his doings among the people, make mention that his name is exalted.  (5)  Sing unto the LORD; for he hath done excellent things: this is known in all the earth.  (6)  Cry out and shout, thou inhabitant of Zion: for great is the Holy One of Israel in the midst of thee.

No comments: