Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Friendship With the World – Enmity With God

 Temple Baptist Church - 11-24-2021

James 4:4

 

A.  In the context of our verses for tonight, we find both godly wisdom and worldly wisdom. 

 

1.  One comes from God, and one comes from this present evil world. 

 

2.  One edifies the church, and one destroys the church. 

 

3.  One comes from seeking the wisdom of God, and one comes from walking contrary to God.

 

B.  To sum it up, spiritual wisdom and worldly wisdom are personal churches!  Every day of our lives, we make choices, either good or bad and choices have consequences.

 

C.  James uses some very powerful words to define the heart and work of the carnal believer.  "adulterers and adulteresses" – Adultery defined: Normally, we would define adultery as a physical act outside of the bond of marriage.  In our text, the principle is the same.  I want to look at both Synonyms (like words) and Antonyms (opposite words) that will give a clear picture of these words.

 

1.  The Bible likens the saved individual's relationship to God as a marriage.  Ephesians, chapter 5 also portrays it as such.  The act of adultery is when a married man or woman commits the sin of stepping outside of the marriage for physical reasons.  We who are saved also have the potential to do so in our spiritual marriage to Christ!  " Ye adulterers and adulteresses …"

 

Synonyms - cheatinginfidelitymisconducttwo-timingunfaithfulness

Antonyms - faithfulnessfidelity

 

2.  Adultery is one of the personal sins that is accompanied by a death sentence.

 

Leviticus 20:10  And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

 

3.  Adultery is tied biblically to lust, lust is tied to sin, and sin is tied to death in chapter 1.

 

James 1:14-16  But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.  (15)  Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.  (16)  Do not err, my beloved brethren.

 

D.  " friendship of the world is enmity with God"

 

Friendship: According to the Bible, true friendship is characterized by love. The Proverbs, the example of David and Jonathan, instructions to the Church, and, ultimately, Jesus' example depict true friendship. A true friend loves, gives wise counsel, remains loyal, forgives, and promotes the other's welfare.

 

Enmity: Genesis 3:15  And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.  (hatred-variance)

 

E.  " friend of the world is the enemy of God"

 

Friend: the ideas of friend and friendship involve three components: association, loyalty, and affection.

 

Enemy: an opponent or stands against, one who hates.

 

Matthew 6:24  No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

 

F.  The war with the flesh.

 

1.  The "spirit that dwelleth in us." 

 

a.  The "spirit" was placed within man before he ever came to know Christ Jesus as Saviour.  As man was made in the image of God, a trichotomy or three that makes one, He made man to be God conscious.  Body-world conscious, soul-self-conscious, spirit-God conscious.

 

John 1:6-9  There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.  (7)  The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.  (8)  He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.  (9)  That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

 

b.  From birth and innocence, the Light of God dwells within people.  All people.  To become atheistic, one must quench that Light.  From innocence to guilt or the knowledge of sinfulness, that Light remains in the un-regenerated man. 

 

c.  After salvation, man spiritually becomes a dichotomy: the old nature and the new nature.  Though saved, the old nature continues to desire the things of the flesh despite the new nature that desires the things of God.

 

d.  It is here that the spiritual battle rages.

 

2.  "lusteth to envy." 

 

a.  There is potential here for the saved man to become a carnal man!  There is no eradication of the old sinful nature.  As long as you and I live, we will battle the flesh as we try to live a consistent life in the spirit for God!

 

Romans 7:14-25  For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.  (15)  For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.  (16)  If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.  (17)  Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.  (18)  For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.  (19)  For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.  (20)  Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.  (21)  I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.  (22)  For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:  (23)  But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.  (24)  O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?  (25)  I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

 

b.  In our text, we find that the "spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy" and envy is sin!  The question is asked, "Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain?"  Vain-to no avail.  God is saying pay attention to the text or you will be next!  (I am a poet and don't know it.  Big feet too, "Longfellows." 😊)

 

c.  We all have the potential to become detrimental to the unity and fellowship of the local church!  I want to end tonight with some well-known to most.

 

1 John 2:15-17  Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.  (16)  For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.  (17)  And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

 

Galatians 5:16-25  This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.  (17)  For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.  (18)  But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.  (19)  Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,  (20)  Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,  (21)  Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.  (22)  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,  (23)  Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.  (24)  And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.  (25)  If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

No comments: