Sunday, June 7, 2020

The Valley Of Confusion

Temple Baptist Church - 6-7-2020
Job 23:1-17


Introduction: 

A.  Job is said to be the oldest book in the Bible. 

1.  I will take their word for that as I do know the antiquity of the story.  Thus, what I am going to preach about this morning is as old as time itself.

2.  The Valley of Faith.  There will be times in our lives when we do not understand (Job did not) and or when we cannot do anything to alleviate our circumstances.  These times will try our faith!

B.  It is in these times that you had better know some things.

James 5:11  Behold, we count them happy which (1) endure. Ye have heard of the (2) patience of Job, and have seen (3) the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.

1.  Job’s Predicament.  Life will be tough at times!

Job 23:1-9  Then Job answered and said,  (2)  Even to day is my complaint bitter: my stroke is heavier than my groaning.  (3)  Oh that I knew where I might find him! that I might come even to his seat!  (4)  I would order my cause before him, and fill my mouth with arguments.  (5)  I would know the words which he would answer me, and understand what he would say unto me.  (6)  Will he plead against me with his great power? No; but he would put strength in me.  (7)  There the righteous might dispute with him; so should I be delivered for ever from my judge.  (8)  Behold, I go forward, but he is not there; and backward, but I cannot perceive him:  (9)  On the left hand, where he doth work, but I cannot behold him: he hideth himself on the right hand, that I cannot see him:

1a)  Job’s Complaint – Verse 2  Job’s Complaint was legitimate!

2a)  Job’s Confusion – Verses 3-7  Murphy’s Law applied to Job.

3a)  Job’s Consternation – Verses 8-9  God was nowhere to be found.

2.  Job’s Patience. 

Job 23:10-12  But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold.  (11)  My foot hath held his steps, his way have I kept, and not declined.  (12)  Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

4a)  Job’s Consideration – Verses 10  God was still in control!

5a)  Job’s Continuation – Verses 11 And having done all to stand! Do Right!

6a)  Job’s Comfort – Verse 12  God’s comforting Word, the Bible.

3.  Job’s Perception. 

Job 23:13-15  But he is in one mind, and who can turn him? and what his soul desireth, even that he doeth.  (14)  For he performeth the thing that is appointed for me: and many such things are with him.  (15)  Therefore am I troubled at his presence: when I consider, I am afraid of him.

7a)  Job’s Conclusion – Verse 12-17  Trust in the wisdom of God!

C.  In this part of Job’s life, we find:

          1.  God’s Purpose – vs. 10  “I shall come forth as gold”

          2.  God’s Plan – vs. 11 – “his steps”

          3.  God’s Persistence – vs. 13 – “who can turn him?”

          4.  God’s Performance – vs.  14 – “he performeth”

          5.  God’s Presence – vs. 15 – “his presence”

Our Faith in our Confusion – vs. 11

1 Peter 2:21  For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:

1.  His Steps Are Sure Steps

Psalms 18:36  Thou hast enlarged my steps under me, that my feet did not slip.

Psalms 18:33  He maketh my feet like hinds' feet, and setteth me upon my high places.

Psalms 37:31  The law of his God is in his heart; none of his steps shall slide.

2.  His Steps Are Ordered Steps

Psalms 37:23  The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.

3.  His Steps Are Protected Steps

Psalms 57:6  They have prepared a net for my steps; my soul is bowed down: they have digged a pit before me, into the midst whereof they are fallen themselves.

Psalms 139:3  Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.

4.  His Steps Are Righteous Steps

Psalms 85:13  Righteousness shall go before him; and shall set us in the way of his steps.

Psalms 119:133  Order my steps in thy word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me.

Psalms 23:3  He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

5.  His Steps Are Joyous Steps

Psalms 16:11  Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

6.  His Steps Are Good Steps

Psalms 25:10  All the paths of the LORD are mercy and truth unto such as keep his covenant and his testimonies.

Psalms 65:11  Thou crownest the year with thy goodness; and thy paths drop fatness.

Psalms 3:17  Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace.

7.  His Steps Are Plain Steps

Psalms 27:11  Teach me thy way, O LORD, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies.

Psalms 119:105  Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Proverbs 3:6  In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

8.  His Steps Are Growing Steps

Proverbs 4:18  But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.

9.  His Steps Are Living Steps

Proverbs 12:28  In the way of righteousness is life; and in the pathway thereof there is no death.

No comments: