Temple Baptist Church - 5-10-2020
A. Mother’s Day is one of the most special of the year. It is a time for “Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.” (Proverbs 31:29)
B. I am forever grateful for the mother that God gave to me! Mom, you are always remembered, always missed and always loved!
C. I am forever thankful for the wife that God gave to me! A wonderful helpmeet, best friend and mother! She is always loved and appreciated.
D. I am ever thankful for the precious ladies that God’s has placed here at Temple. Precious ladies who never give this pastor a headache! 😊 I love each of you and appreciate every one of you.
E. Ladies, this is your day!
F. It is interesting what some great men have said concerning their mothers. The mother has a tremendous influence for either good or evil in the lives of the children.
Washington Irving – “The love of a real mother is never exhausted. It never changes-it never tires-it endures through all; in good repute, in bad repute, in the face of the world’s condemnation, a mother’s love still lives on.”
Charles Spurgeon – “I cannot tell how much I owe to the prayers of my good mother…I remember her once praying, “Now Lord, if my children go on in sin it will not be from ignorance that they perish, and my soul must bear swift witness against them at the day of judgment if they lay not hold on Christ and claim Him as their personal Savior.”
Dr. G. Campbell Morgan had 4 sons and they were all preachers. Someone once came into the drawing room when all the family was there. They thought they would see what Howard, one of the sons, was made of so they asked him this question: “Howard, who is the greatest preacher in your family?” Howard had a great admiration for his father, and he looked straight across at him and then, without a moment’s hesitation, he answered, “Mother.”
May R. Coker - Motherhood is the greatest privilege of life.
Abraham Lincoln - No man is poor who has had a godly mother.
Seen on a church sign: If evolution is true, how come mothers still have only two hands”
G. How moms are made: She has to be completely washable, but not plastic; have 200 moveable parts, all replaceable; run on black coffee and leftovers; have a lap that can hold three children at one time that disappears when she stands up; have a kiss that can cure anything from a scraped knee to a broken heart; and have six pairs of hands. She must have 3 pairs of eyes. One pair of eyes is to see through the closed door as she asks the children what they are doing even though she already knows. Another pair in the back of the head is to see what she needs to know even though no one thinks she can. The third pair is in the front of the head. They are for looking at an errant child and saying that she understands and loves him or her without even saying a single word. She heals herself when she is sick and can feed a family of six on a pound of hamburger and can get a nine-year-old to stand in the shower. She is made both soft and tough. She can endure and accomplish anything. She will be able to think, reason, and negotiate. She has tears as her way of expressing her joy, her sorrow, her disappointment, her pain, her loneliness, and her grief. SHE IS BOTH SPECIAL AND SPECIALLY MADE!!!
H. Woman, God’s “crowning creation!” The last thing that God did was bring forth out of Adam a woman-helpmeet-friend-confidant-lover!
1. Good women are getting like “hen’s teeth!” They are scarce and hard to find, but, thank God, there are still some young ladies being raised for the Lord in such a manner as to make good, godly wives.
2. Any woman can become a good woman if she so desires. Godly wives and mothers are made as well as raised. Some of you ladies may not have had the privilege of being raised in a godly, separated home, but you can give your life to the Lord and become as godly as one raised.
3. The word “find” does not mean to stumble upon, but rather to make a diligent search. Young men, do not fall for the first pretty face that you see because the heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked. Allow your parents to be involved in the selection of a mate for life! Man looks upon the outward but God looks upon the heart!
4. Find – to obtain by seeking - Matthew 7:7-10 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: 8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. 9 Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone? 10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent? (If you seek right, the Lord will give you the right mate!)
THERE ARE SEVERAL “GOOD WOMEN” FOUND IN PROVERBS THAT I WANT TO LOOK AT THIS MORNING. THESE THINGS MAKE A LADY AND A MOTHER SOMEONE VERY SPECIAL.
1. The Gracious Woman - Proverbs 11:16 A gracious woman retaineth honour: and strong [men] retain riches. GRACIOUS - Favorable; kind; benevolent; merciful; disposed to forgive offenses and impart unmerited blessings. (A mother has the same attributes in many ways that God has.)
a. A Gracious Woman Is Forgiving Woman - Nehemiah 9:17 And refused to obey, neither were mindful of thy wonders that thou didst among them; but hardened their necks, and in their rebellion appointed a captain to return to their bondage: but thou art a God ready to pardon, gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and forsookest them not.
b. A Gracious Woman Is Kind Woman - Luke 4:22 And all bare him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth. And they said, Is not this Joseph’s son?
c. A Gracious Woman Is Favorable Woman - Proverbs 18:22 Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the LORD. (She brings the blessings of God on a home!)
2. The Virtuous Woman - Proverbs 31:10 Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.
a. A Virtuous Woman Is A Moral Woman - 1 Timothy 2:9-10 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; 10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.
b. A Virtuous Woman Is An Asset To Her Husband - Proverbs 12:4 A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband: but she that maketh ashamed is as rottenness in his bones.
3. The Wise Woman - Proverbs 14:1 Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands.
a. The Wise Woman Builds Her House - Titus 2:5 To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.
b. The Foolish Woman Destroys Her House – “plucketh it down with her hands!”
4. The God Fearing Woman - Proverbs 31:30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised.
a. The God Fearing Woman Is A Saved Woman - 1 Peter 3:2-4 While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear. 3 Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; 4 But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.
b. The God Fearing Woman Is A Trusted Woman - Proverbs 31:11-12 The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil. 12 She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.
c. The God Fearing Woman Is An Appreciated Woman - Proverbs 31:28-31 Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband [also], and he praiseth her. 29 Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all. 30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised. 31 Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.
1) Her Children – “her children”
2) Her Husband – “her husband”
3) Her Acquaintances – “in the gates”
4) Her Lord – “shall be praised”