Temple Baptist Church - 3-8-2020
A. Homecoming Month. What a special time for God’s people here at Temple. We have something very special here. God has blessed this church over the past 33 years.
B. This month, I am looking at the purpose of the local church lest we lose sight of what we are here for. Last Sunday, we saw the first purpose is Exaltation or Worship. This morning, I want to look at Education or Teaching.
C. The local church is a called-out assembly of saints.
1. The local church is a place of God’s Desire. Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. (The local church is important to God!)
2. The local church is a place of God’s Design. 1 Timothy 3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth. (Order is important to God.)
3. The local church is a place of God’s Doctrine. Acts 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers. (Sound doctrine is important to God.)
D. I want to look at the aspect of teaching and preaching this morning. There is a difference between teaching and preaching.
1. Teaching involves information or fact to inform the intellect.
2. Preaching demands a response or decision.
E. In the Great Commission or Commandment, our Lord Jesus said, “ (1) Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: (2) Teaching them to (3) observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen. (Matthew 28:19-20)
1. The Obligation of Missions. “teach all nations, baptizing them” Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
a. Home Missions. Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. (For every creature to receive the gospel, it requires every child of God to carry the message.)
b. Foreign Missions. Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. (For the entire world to hear, there must be those who go.)
2. The Obligation of the Pastor. “teaching them to”
a. The Man of The Word. Ephesians 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
1 Timothy 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
b. The Ministry of The Word. The Acts 6:4 But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word. Doctrinal teaching is of the utmost importance in these days of doctrinal ignorance!
Titus 2:1 But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine: (Sound-uncorrupt, whole, true, healthy, uncompromised)
c. The Method of The Word. 2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
1 Peter 5:2 Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;
2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
3. The Obligation of the Saint. “observe all things” There is a difference between Observation and Observe.
Observation - the action or process of observing something or someone carefully or in order to gain information.
Observe - to conform one's action or practice to (something, such as a law, rite, or condition)comply with.
a. The Responsibility of the Saint to Hear The Word – Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. (You cannot hear or learn if you are not faithful to attend.)
b. The Obligation of the Saint to Heed The Word. Hebrews 5:11-12 Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing. (12) For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
Conclusion: Colossians 1:28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: