Sunday, May 5, 2019

Bearing The Infirmities of The Weak

Temple Baptist Church - 5-5-2019
Romans 15:1-7


Introduction:

A.  “We then” shows a continuation and conclusion of the context found in chapter 14.  There are some couplets found in verse one.

B.  Two types of believers.  Both are saved.

1.  “Strong.”  “We then that are strong.”  Mature in Christ and serving Christ.  The Christian life is a personal one as it is our relationship with our Lord Jesus Christ.  In Hebrews, chapter 5, Paul said, When for the time ye ought to be teachers.”  Spiritual maturity brings about strength in Christ.  This is what God expects from us all!

2.  “Weak.”  “Infirmities of the weak.”  The word “infirmity” is normally used when mentioning sickness, disease, or impotence.  Within our context, if is descriptive of the immature child of God who remains in bondage instead of relishing the liberty that we are to have in Christ.

C.  This portion of Scripture is not written to the pastor alone.  The strong speaks of those who:

1.  Are strong in their personal Faith.  They know that they are saved and are servants.

2.  Are strong in the Scriptures.  They can understand and teach the doctrines of the faith.

3.  Are strong in Church.  They are faithful to and serving in the local church.

4.  Are strong in Tribulation.  They are enduring and steadfast when trials come.

D.  The strong are those who live their lives for Christ, others, but not self.  It is our love for Christ that determines our life lived for Christ.  It is our life lived for Christ that counts.
“My life, my love, I give to Thee,
Thou Lamb of God who died for me;
Oh, may I ever faithful be,
  My Savior and my God! 

    I'll live for Him who died for me,
    How happy then my life shall be!
    I'll live for Him who died for me,
        My Savior and my God! 

The world and all its joys I leave;
My life, O Lord, Thou wilt receive;
Henceforth no more Thyself I'll grieve,
  My Savior and my God! 

O Thou who died on Calvary,
To save my soul and make me free,
That I may ever live for Thee
  My Savior and my God!”
E.  We do not have the power, in most instances, to take away the infirmities of the weak.  Spiritual growth must come from within each of us individually.  Spiritual maturity cannot be forced.

1.  Verse 1-2.  Spiritual Obligation.  Chapter 14 speaks of two classes of believers.  Strong and weak.

a.  To be Strong in the Lord.  We have a spiritual obligation to mature in the Lord.  To conform to the image of the Son of God.  1 John 2:12-14  I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake.  (13)  I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father.  (14)  I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.

b.  To Bear the infirmities of the Weak.  To put up with!  We have a spiritual obligation to both longsuffering with and exhortation of the weak.  1 Thessalonians 5:12-15  And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you;  (13)  And to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. And be at peace among yourselves.  (14)  Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.  (15)  See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.


c.  To Share the gifts that God has given to us.  As God has blessed us, we are to be a blessing to others.  Not selfish, but selfless.  Philippians 2:3-4  Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.  (4)  Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

2.  Verse 3-4.  Spiritual Example.  In these verses, we find two sources of example.

a.  The Son of God.  Jesus Christ gave up heaven for sinners.  The Strong for the weak.  John 10:10-11  The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.  (11)  I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

b.  The Word of God.  The Word of God throughly furnishes the child of God for the task ahead of him or her.    2 Timothy 3:16-17  All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:  (17)  That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

3.  Verse 5.  Spiritual Keys.

a.  Patience.  Ephesians 4:1-2  I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,  (2)  With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;

b.  Consolation.  Consolation comes through consideration and loving exhortation.  Hebrews 10:24-25  And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:  (25)  Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

4.  Verse 6.  Spiritual Goals.

a.  One mind.  Philippians 2:2  Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.

b.  One mouth.   1 Corinthians 1:10  Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.5.  Verse 7.  Spiritual Conclusion.

5.  Verse 7.  Spiritual Admonition. 

a.  Receive one another.

b.  As Christ receives you.

6.  We Have Been Called To Serve One Another - Galatians 5:13-14  For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.  14  For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.  (We were not set at liberty so that we could fulfill the desires of the flesh.)

a.  We Can Serve One Another By Having Compassion

b.  We Can Serve One Another Through Prayerfulness

c.  We Can Serve One Another By Giving Comfort

d.  We Can Serve One Another Through Exhortation

e.  We Can Serve One Another By Sustaining

f.  We Can Serve One Another By Strengthening

g.  We Can Serve One Another By Simply Listening

h.  We Can Serve One Another By Weeping With Those Who Weep

No comments: