Sunday, April 7, 2019

Deciding Questionable Things, or When Doing Right Becomes Wrong

Temple Baptist Church - 4-7-2019
Romans 14:1-12; 1 Corinthians 8:12-13


Introduction: 

A.  Last week, we looked at the danger of Phariseeism.  The message was not meant to demean the importance of personal conviction that leads to a personal relationship with God.  I believe that convictions are important in the life of the believer.

B.  We saw the problem with judging based upon argument over convictions or the lack thereof.  I find no where in the Bible where we go around telling people what our convictions are.  We are to LIVE our convictions and others will know without us having to tell them what they are.

C.  I see the problem expressed in chapter 14 that is prophetic of these last days of Laodicea: The Rights of the People.  We need to know that what we do or do not influences everyone around us.  “No man is an island unto himself” is an old saying that is biblically based.

D.  In a day when the world has had a marked affect upon the believer and the local church, we need to know how to decide questionable things.  These things are such as stand between us and our Lord that we have been convicted about and demand either obedience or lack of obedience.

E.  There are many things that are questionable things.  No questionable between me and you, but questionable things in my life that I am not sure of but want God’s answer, not mine or the world’s. 

F.  A good “Rule of Thumb” is this:  always err on the side of right.  I have often said that, as God’s children, we need to give God the benefit of doubt, not the world.  If unsure about something, stay away from it until you are assured one way or the other. 

Philippians 1:9-10  And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment;  That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ;  (Excellent – a superlative: in good, better, or best—always choose the best.)

1 Thessalonians 5:21-22  Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.  (22) Abstain from all appearance of evil.

G.  How am I to know what is right and what is wrong?

1.  Not everything is spelled out in the Bible so there are decisions that need to be made.

2.  Is it right to do anything not spelled out in the Bible?  The answer is an obvious “NO.”

3.  Do not follow what man says as he may be wrong.

4.  Do not follow your conscience as conscience is decided by individual beliefs and you may believe wrong.

5.  Follow God’s Word.  It may not give specific details concerning every area of question, but it does give specific guidelines.  FOLLOW THEM!

HERE ARE SOME QUESTIONS TO ANSWER THAT WILL HELP IN DECIDING QUESTIONABLE THINGS.

1.  Have I earnestly prayed about it? 

a.  Many times we do not want to know what the truth is.

John 7:17  If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

b.  Many times, we pray like this:  Lord, let me know whether this is right or wrong, and I will decide if I will do right.”

c.  We should pray like this:  “Lord, I don’t know whether this is right or wrong, so I’ll not do it until you let me know for sure.  Then I will do right regardless of my preferences.”

2.  Do I have the leading of the Holy Spirit?

John 16:13  Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear,that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Romans 8:14  For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

3.  Can I do it in the name of the Lord Jesus?

Colossians 3:17a  And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus,

4.  Can you thank God for it?

            Colossians 17b  “giving thanks to God and the Father by him.” 

5.  Does what I do please God the Father?

2 Corinthians 5:9  Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him.  (Never do anything unless thoroughly convinced that it will please God.)

6.  Does what I do bring glory to God?

1 Corinthians 10:31  Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

7.  Does what I do edify the brethren?

Romans 15:2  Let every one of us please his neighbour for his good to edification.

8.  Will what I do offend other brethren?

1 Corinthians 8:13  Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

9.  Will what I do possibly keep a sinner from coming to Christ?

Matthew 5:16  Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

            1 Thessalonians 4:12a  That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without,

10.  Am I fully persuaded that what I am doing is right?

Romans 14:5  One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

No comments: