Wednesday, March 27, 2019

God Remembers

Temple Baptist Church - 3-27-2019
Hebrews 6:10


Introduction:

A.  What a tremendous verse of Scripture!  So often, we feel that no one cares about the our labor in the work of the Lord.  I know of pastors in small churches who, when looking at the “big churches,” feel that they are accomplishing nothing for the Lord. 

B.  There are no “big churches.”  A church is a church and equally appreciated by the Lord.  Some people do much in places of little resistance while others seemingly do little but in places of great resistance.  God sees Quality, not Quantity.

Matthew 20:9-10  And when they came that were hired about the eleventh hour, they received every man a penny.  (10)  But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny. 

C.  God’s work is rewarding!  Galatians 6:9-10  And let us not be weary in well doing: for in (1)  due season (2) we shall reap, if we faint not.  (10)  As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

Mark 12:41-44  And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much.  (42)  And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.  (43)  And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury:  (44)  For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living. (She probably thought that what she put in the treasury was of little value but she did not see as God sees.  She did not know what Jesus said but she certainly found out when she got to heaven!)

D.  Our labor “in the Lord” is:

1.  A labor of love.  “your work and labour of love”

2.  A labor in His name.  “which ye have shewed toward his name”

3.  A labor of for others.  “ye have ministered to the saints”

4.  A labor of continuation.  “and do minister”

E.  Our labor “in the Lord” can be either:

1.  Physical - Matthew 10:42  And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward.

2.  Spiritual - Philippians 2:16  Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.


F.  Our labor “in the Lord” does not go unnoticed.

1.  By God.  Hebrews 6:10  For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.


a.  God is not unrighteous!  2 Timothy 4:8  Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.  (Already waiting.)

b.  God is not forgetful!  Nehemiah 5:19  Think upon me, my God, for good, according to all that I have done for this people.  (Though we may not be rewarded for our labor in this life, God will not forget us in eternity.) 

Revelation 14:13  And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.

1 Corinthians 3:11-14  For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.  (12)  Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;  (13)  Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.  (14)  If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.

2.  You Labor of Love is not forgotten by your pastor.

a.  We are not ungrateful.  1 Thessalonians 1:2-3  We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers;  (3)  Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father;

b.  We are not forgetful.  Romans 16:6  Greet Mary, who bestowed much labour on us.

3.  Your Labor of Love is not forgotten by those you bestow labor upon.

Matthew 25:35-45  For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:  (36)  Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.  (37)  Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?  (38)  When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?  (39)  Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?  (40)  And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.  (41)  Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:  (42)  For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:  (43)  I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.  (44)  Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?  (45)  Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

Conclusion: 

1 Corinthians 15:58  Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

John 6:27  Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.

No comments: