Sunday, February 10, 2019

What Makes Jesus So Precious?

Temple Baptist Church - 2-10-2019
1 Peter 1:18-2:7


Introduction:

A.  Many sermons have been preached on chapter 2:7: “Unto you therefore which believe he is precious.”

B.  Jesus Christ is indeed precious!

1.  He Is Precious To The Father – 2:4

a)  He Is Precious Because He Is An Only Begotten Son - 1 John 4:9  In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

b)  He Is Precious Because He Is An Obedient Son - John 8:29 And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.

Matthew 3:17  And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

c)  He Is Precious Because He Is A Loving Son - John 14:31  But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence.

2.  He is Precious To The Sinner – 2:6

a)  Because Of His Love For Them – John 3:16  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

b)  Because Of His Sacrifice For Them – Isaiah 53:6  All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

c)  Because Of His Promise To Them – Acts 4:12  Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

3.  He Is Precious To The Saint – 2:6b-7

a)  He Is The Chief Corner Stone Upon Which Our Lives Are Built - Psalms 40:2  He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.

b)  He Is The Chief Corner Stone Upon Which Our Future Is Secured – vs 9-10 - John 10:28  And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

c)  He Is The Chief Corner Stone Upon Which Our Faith Is Established – vs 6b - Romans 10:11  For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

d)  He Is The Chief Corner Stone Upon Which We Can Rely When All Others Fail – vs 10 - Psalms 27:10  When my father and my mother forsake me, then the LORD will take me up.

C.  I believe that the context in which chapter 2:7 is found is the key to His preciousness to the child of God.

1.  Verse 18 – We know that our salvation is not of works, but through God’s amazing grace.

2.  Verse 19 – We know that our Lord Jesus Christ shed His precious blood for our sins.

3.  Verse 20 – We know that Christ was manifested FOR us and not just to us.

4.  Verse 21 – We know that our faith is in God alone.

5.  Verse 22 – We know that our souls have been made pure through imputation.

6.  Verse 23 – We know that our salvation is anchored in what God says, not what we feel.

7.  Verse 24-25 – We know that the Bible that we hold in our hand is the Word of God and, therefore, dependable.

Conclusion:  The most precious thing in this world to us should be that which is most precious to God!  His Son!  If you are lost this morning, the most precious think in this would to you should be Jesus Christ!  Because of His great love, He died for you!

No comments: