Temple Baptist Church - 12-2-2018
A. Christmas is almost upon us once again and our hearts turn back to Bethlehem and the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ.
B. I want to look at these verses considering His First Advent. These verses are so profound as they give us valuable insight into who Christ was, what He became, and why He came.
C. In these verses, we see:
1. The Eternality of Christ – Verse 1 — “In the beginning was the Word.” 1 John 1:1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life; (The Gospel of John and the Book of 1 John begin with the same truth concerning Christ’s eternality. The great “I AM THAT I AM,” the self-existing One, the Everlasting Father of Isaiah 9, the Eternal God. A truth to be believed though a truth that cannot be comprehended. He was, He is, He always will be!)
2. The Union of Christ – Verse 1 – “and the Word was with God.” 1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. (John 10 says, “I and the Father are one!” God is one God, manifesting Himself in three persons: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost. All three are co-equal in all power and attributes. Perfectly one in person, one in purpose, and one agreement.)
3. The Deity of Christ – Verse 1 – “and the Word was God.” Titus 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; (The great Jehovah God of the Old Testament; LORD God. Essential to our ability to glorify God is the knowledge of God’s person. There are so many names given to God in the Old Testament that give insight concerning His person, position, and power. El Shaddai-Almighty God, El Elyon-the Most-High God, El Olam-The Everlasting God, Yahweh-the Existing God, Adonai-Master.
4. The Creation of Christ – Verse 3 – “All things were made by Him.” Ephesians 3:9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: (Everything that exists came by Christ, through Christ, and belongs to Christ. God said it and it was done! The universe, this world, and everything in them belongs to Him.)
5. The Life of Christ – Verse 4 – “In Him was life.” John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (Man cannot give life. Only Life can beget life and that Life comes from God. Plant life, animal life, fowl life, and the life of man came from God. THE life, not a life.)
6. The Illumination of Christ – Verse 4 – “and the life was the light of men … which lighteth every man.” John 1:9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. (With man’s life comes the “light” of the knowledge of God. Every man is born God conscious, not atheistic. Atheism is learned from other atheists. Theism is inherent in man. God breathed into Adam’s nostrils the “breath of life.” God’s life, eternal life.)
7. The Will of Christ – Verse 7 – “that all men through Him might believe.” 1 Timothy 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. (God is not willing that any perish. God takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked. To die without Christ is to die out of the will of God.)
8. The Rejection of Christ – Verse 10-11 – “the world knew Him not … His own received Him not.” John 15:18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. (The world wants no God. The world wants to be their own personal “god.” No God, no accountability; no God, no purpose in life; no God, no life after death. BUT, we are accountable, we do have purpose, and there is life after death. “The fool hath said in his heart, there is not God.”)
9. The Incarnation of Christ – Verse 14 – “And the Word was made flesh.” 1 John 1:2 (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, andbear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;) (The “seed of the woman” was born in Bethlehem 2,000 years ago. The Word was made flesh and dwelt among us.” That is the Reason for the Season. “For God so loved the world!”)
10. The Purpose of Christ – Verse 12 – “But as many as received Him.” 1 John 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment. (Receiving the promise of God: “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”)
Conclusion: The greatest Gift ever given was the Gift of God’s Son. Receive Him and have eternal life in heaven; reject Him and have eternal life in hell.