Sunday, August 19, 2018

If God Be For Us

Temple Baptist Church - 8-19-2018
Romans 8:28-39


Introduction: 

A.  In our day of “religion,” there is much confusion among some as what eternal life is and is not.

1.  Eternal life is just that, eternal life.  I am not sure what it is about the word eternal that people do not understand.  Eternal and everlasting seem to be a family secret at times.  I have never thought that I was fit for heaven in myself.  I know what I am.

2.  “Falling from grace” and “losing your salvation” are heretical doctrines based upon lack of understanding by some saved people or lack of salvation by some religious people.

3.  Their foundation is based upon unbiblical perceptions of self, sin, and the holiness of God.

a)  Unbiblical perception of self.  That we can be good enough to be saved or remain saved.  Some even teach eradication of sin in this life. Though saved, we remain sinful. 

1 John 1:8-10  If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.  (9)  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  (10)  If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

b)  Unbiblical perception of sin.  That some sins cause the saved to become lost while other sins do not.  Most who believe in the saved becoming lost again will agree that they still sin but think that they are still going to heaven.  Therefore, they must “color” sin.  Eating one piece of fruit plunged humanity into sin and, therefore, death.  This one sin sent God’s Son to the cross; that is what God thinks of sin.

Romans 5:12  Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Romans 6:23  For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

c)  Unbiblical perception of the holiness of God.  That a thrice holy God will allow sinful man to come into His presence through personal merit instead of the blood of Christ.  Christ died because we are sinners and His blood is the only payment that God will accept.

1 John 1:5  This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

1 Timothy 6:16  Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.



B.  These are powerful verses as they show the children of God that God IS FOR US!  I often quote Hebrews 13:5 because of its importance to us all, especially when we are facing trials and persecutions.

Hebrews 13:5-6  Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.  (6)  So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.

1.  “I will never leave thee.”  Jesus Christ is always with us.  We never walk alone in this world.  We sometimes sing the song that says:

“If Jesus goes with me, I’ll go anywhere;
Tis heaven to me, where ’er I may be, if He is there!
I count it a privilege here, His cross to bear,
If Jesus goes with me, I’ll go anywhere!

2.  “I will never … forsake thee.”  Jesus Christ will always be there with us but He will also always be there for us.   He is on our side!

3.  “So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.”

Matthew 10:28  And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

C.  Verse 37 speaks of the child of God being “more than conquerors.”  Not just conquerors but more than conquerors!  Every child of God knows that everything will turn out alright in the end.  This life will one day be over, and we will be eternally with the Lord.    The wording here is important.

1.  You can be a conqueror but pay such a price for the conquest as to deem it not worth it.  You can be a conqueror and wish that you had never engaged the enemy.

2.  More than conquerors carries the thought that the battle was worth the price paid and, if we had to do it all over again, we would fight the same fight expecting the same outcome.

D.  Unfortunately, the Christian life is painted as being a hard one with us—battered and beaten—finally arriving home. 

1.  Even some of the songs we sing such as “The Old Ship Of Zion” portray the church as beaten and battered.  Just making it to heaven by the “skin of our teeth!”  I have seen many fights where the conqueror looked much worse for wear than the defeated. 

2.  The Christian life is one of victory and joy.  I had rather be an old time Christian, Lord, than anything I know!

E.  Verse 37 teaches more than just “surviving.”  Many Christians are simply surviving in this life and hoping for the life to come.  We are “more than conquerors” in that we are victorious before the battle even begins.

2 Peter 1:3  According as his divine power hath given unto us all things thatpertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

Matthew 28:18  And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

2 Corinthians 12:9  And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Ephesians 1:18-19  The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, 19  And what [is] the exceeding greatness of his power to us–ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

Romans 8:32  He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

F.  These verses seem to indicate that we are doing far better than just scrapping by!  These verses should both enlighten and encourage the believer.  WHAT MAKES US “MORE THAN CONQUERORS?”

1.  Our Life Is Ordered – vs. 28-30

Job 23:10-14  But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. 11  My foot hath held his steps, his way have I kept, and not declined. 12  Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food. 13 But he is in one mind, and who can turn him? and what his soul desireth, even that he doeth. 14  For he performeth the thing that is appointed for me: and many such things are with him.

Psalms 77:19-20  Thy way is in the sea, and thy path in the great waters, and thy footsteps are not known. 20  Thou leddest thy people like a flock by the hand of Moses and Aaron.

2.  Our Saviour Is Omnipotent – vs. 31-34

1 John 4:4  Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

Ephesians 6:10  Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.

3.  Our Problems Are Temporal – vs. 35-36

Job 20:5  That the triumphing of the wicked is short, and the joy of the hypocrite but for a moment?

2 Corinthians 4:17  For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;


4.  Our Life Is Victorious – vs. 37

1 Corinthians 15:57  But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

2 Corinthians 2:14  Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place.

1 John 5:4-5  For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. 5  Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

5.  Our Position Is Secure – vs. 38-39

John 10:28  And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

2 Timothy 1:12  For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

No comments: