Temple Baptist Church - 4-8-2018
Hebrews 10:25; Psalm 84
A. There has been a serious decline in church attendance in the past few decades and this decline is simply a fulfillment of Scripture. It has been prophesied that in the last days, there would be a falling away and we are in the middle of it.
B. The “form of godliness” has permeated the ranks of the professing believers with little or no conviction or holiness of life.
C. Most churches are fairly full on Sunday morning, but the Sunday night and Wednesday night crowds have dwindled to the point of calling off services.
1. “As the manner of some is” has become the rule instead of the exception with more and more of the once faithful now either slack in their faithfulness or completely out of church.
2. My Bible still says, “For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. “ (Matthew 18:20)
D. Most churches have lost their way in these last days as they have become:
1. Entertainment Centers for the worldly.
2. Fishing Holes for sinners.
3. Seeker Sensitive for numbers.
E. The local church is a called-out assembly of saints for the purpose of worship, preaching, and doctrinal teaching. It is to be a place of holiness and separation from the world. That makes a good church unpopular with the masses.
F. The Importance of God’s House. The phrase “The house of the Lord” is used 213 X in the Bible. The phrase “house of God” is used 87X in the Bible. That is a total of 300 references. This does not include other references such as “temple” and “tabernacle.” God’s house is a place of great importance.
1. The Emphasis of God’s House - Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. Why the emphasis? This verse has been preached as a negative instead of a positive! Yes, it is a commandment but there is a reason behind the commandment. I have often said that the church:
a) Is A Place Of Rallying. (When you are down.)
b) Is A Place Of Relying. (When you are devastated.)
c) Is A Place Of Renewing. (When you are defiled.)
d) Is A Place Of Revival. (When you are defeated.)
2. The Excitement of God’s House - Psalms 122:1 I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD.
3. The Encouragement of God’s House - Psalms 27:4 One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.
Psalms 55:14 We took sweet counsel together, and walked unto the house of God in company.
1. A Place of Importance – vs 1 “How”
2. A Place of Loving – vs 1 “amiable” (well beloved)
3. A Place of Longing – vs 2-3 “longeth … fainteth”
4. A Place of Worship – vs 3 “altars” (place of sacrifice)
5. A Place of Encouragement – vs 4 “still praising thee”
6. A Place of Strength – vs 5 “strength is in thee”
7. A Place of Understanding – vs 6 “valley of Baca … make it a well” (weeping)
8. A Place of Sharing – vs 7 “strength to strength”
9. A Place of Prayer – vs 8 “hear my prayer … give ear”
10. A Place of Safety – vs 9 “God our shield”
11. A Place of Joy – vs 10 “day … better than a thousand”
12. A Place of Blessing – vs 11 “no good thing”
13. A Place of Maturity – vs 12 “trusteth in thee”