Temple Baptist Church - 10-22-2017
2 Timothy 4:10
A. This morning, I want to look at one of the saddest statements in the Bible: “Demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world.”
1. God lost a worker! 2 Timothy 4:10a For Demas hath forsaken …
Luke 10:2 Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest.
2. Paul lost a friend! 2 Timothy 4:10 For Demas hath forsaken me …
2 Timothy 4:16 At my first answer no man stood with me, but all men forsook me: I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge.
3. Demas lost a life! 2 Timothy 4:10b having loved this present world …
Matthew 16:24-25 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. (25) For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.
B. As far as what the Bible tells us, Demas never returned. I do not know what became of Demas but I do know that he lost his life. God left the end results of the life of this man up to our imagination.
C. The loss of a life – Matthew 16:26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
D. The why and what for that caused Demas to leave is not stated other than his love for the world. 1 John 2:15 expressly says, “Love not the world!”
1. Was it the Care of this world that caused Demas to leave? Matthew 13:22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful. (Did the things of this world became more important to him than God? Demas probably left in his heart long before he left physically.)
2. Was it the Course of this world that caused Demas to leave? Ephesians 2:1-2 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; (2) Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: (Did he got involved with the old crowd that he once knew and instead of influencing them, they influenced him and he followed them in their philosophy and vanity?)
3. Was it the Comfort of this world that caused Demas to leave? 1 Timothy 6:17 Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy; (Demas may have loved pleasure and ease rather than hardship. Demas may have loved comfort andwealth rather than discomfort and poverty.)
4. Was it the Cost of this world that caused Demas to leave? Romans 12:1-2 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. (2) And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. (Paul begged the Roman believers to be separate from this present evil world.)
a) Its cost is great. It will cost you the world: things that you will no longer do and places that you will no longer go.
b) Its consequences are great. The world will punish you for it. IT WILL COST YOU YOUR LIFE!
E. Whatever the scenario, Demas sold his most prized possession: his life. Matthew 16:26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
1. Demas lost his life with Christ. 1 Corinthians 1:9 God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord. (The peace and joy that comes only through walking with the Lord was forsaken. Backsliders are the unhappiest people in the world. If you can be backslidden and happy, you may need to “slide up” first.)
2. Demas lost his life with this church family. 1 John 1:3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ. (Oh, what joy; Oh, what delight, to be assembled with these special people. As old Brother Jim would have said, “I love you better than Butter Pecan Ice Cream!!)
3. Demas lost his life with the man of God. 3 John 1:3 For I rejoiced greatly, when the brethren came and testified of the truth that is in thee, even as thou walkest in the truth. (If you have a real pastor, you have a friend that will stick closer than a brother but – to have a friend – you must be a friend.)
4. Demas lost the fruitfulness and reward of his labor. Romans 10:14-15 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! (The world will never know the love of Christ that we know unless we tell them. Demas would be without reward at the Judgment Seat of Christ.)
5. Demas lost the peace of God that passeth all understanding. 1 John 3:20-21 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things. Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God. (A clear conscience still makes for a soft pillow! Walking at a guilty distance from the Lord causes sadness and unhappiness in the heart of the child of God.)
6. Demas lost a life of protection from the almighty God. Psalms 62:7-8 In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God. Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah. (Safety is still of the Lord and the safest place in the world is found in the will of God for your life. I do not want Satan turned loose on me! 1 Corinthians 5:5 says, “To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.”)