Temple Baptist Church - 6-18-2017
A. Every Family Needs Three Homes.
1. They Need A Heavenly Home - Acts 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
2. They Need A Church Home - 1 Timothy 3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.
3. They Need A Christian Home - Ephesians 6:4 And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
B. The Importance of the godly Men. Our text is prophetic of the end times when the “Branch” will come. This will not be a message on the Second Advent but verse 1 is certainly relevant to the days in which we live.
1. We live in days of few good men or good ladies.
a) Everything is so mixed up and out of order. The unisex movement of the late 60’s and 70’s when the Women’s Liberation Movement was at its height has taken a toll on society. Even earlier than that, during WWII, the men went to war and the women went to work.
b) Thank God for both because the war was necessary and the women had to step up and fill the factories with workers. But society was forever changed! The men came home from the war but the women never came home from the work place.
c) Today, the men are weaker and no long leaders while the women are stronger and no longer followers. I have never seen so many soft men as there are today.
2. Soft and effeminate. When I was growing up, there was an occasional little boy who acted like a little girl but not many. Our text says that there will be 7 women looking for one man! Why? Because of the scarcity of good men! Look in the work places. I am not advocating the movie but the work places are now “Peyton Place.” Ladies, there 7 women looking for your man!
C. This is a Father’s Day message to all our men because you will either be a father or a father figure to our people. Good husbands and good fathers.
1. I love and appreciate the men of this church! We have good men here: godly and responsible men. I am not ashamed to be counted among you.
2. Someone once said, “A child is not likely to find a father in God unless he finds something of God in his father.”
3. In our churches, we need good men who are godly fathers or father figures.
D. What kind of men do we need? 1 Corinthians 16:13 Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong. (Paul’s admonition was “Quit you like men” – Act like a man!)
1. We Need Men Who Fear God – Ecclesiastes 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
a. Clean Men (Free from bad habits) - Psalms 19:9 The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
b. Moral Men (Men of character) - Proverbs 8:13 The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.
Proverbs 16:6 By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil.
c. Wise Men - Proverbs 9:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.
2. We Need Men Who Are Faithful To God – Psalm 22:4 Our fathers trusted in thee: they trusted, and thou didst deliver them.
a. Faithful To The Lord - Psalms 100:2 Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing. (We need some men who are willing to serve the Lord.)
b. Faithful To Fill The Gap – Ezekiel 22:30 And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none. (We need some men who stand for something.)
c. Faithful To The Church – 1 John 2:13 I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father. (We need some men who can be counted on.)
d. Faithful To Follow Christ And Lead The Family – In In the plan and purpose of God, the father is the head of the household. The order of the authority is the “head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.” Far too many men fail to take charge of their homes. Dr. B. R. Lakin used to say, “Some husbands are so henpecked that they roost on the foot of the bed at night.”
d. Faithful To Teach The Children – Ephesians 6:4 And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
1) To Teach Them About The Lord.
2) To Teach Them How To Be Men And Ladies.
3) To Teach Them God’s Word.
Conclusion: Happy Father’s Day!