Temple Baptist Church - 5-14-2017
2 Thessalonians 3:16-18; Mathew 24:1-8
A. As we come to the end of 2 Thessalonians, I want to spend a little time with Paul’s salutation as it is important to us who live in the end of the Church Age. As the possibility of these believers being troubled or shaken in mind 2,000 years ago was a reality, how much more in these last, perilous times.
B. I want to tie verse 16 with Matthew, verses 1-8. In these verses, our Lord answers the question of the Apostles concerning the second coming. We need to understand the interpretation of these verses in light of our days. I will not go through Matthew 24 in detail but will give a brief overview.
1. Verses 4-7 give the signs of the times just prior to the Rapture of the Church.
2. Verse 8 signals the removal of the Church and the beginning of the Tribulation Period.
3. Verses 9-26 give a vivid description of Jacob’s Trouble. It is divided into two equal parts with the abomination of desolation in the middle. (Verse 15) I do not want to get into that at this time because it is not my message.
4. Verse 27-31 pictures the second coming of Christ in great power and glory (Revelation 1:7)
C. Well, here we stand at the end of the Church Age with the entire world in turmoil. There is:
1. Apostasy and Spiritual Deception – rejection of scripture and the constant blowing of the winds of false doctrine.
2. Disobedience to authority – in the home; in the church; in the schools; in society.
3. Social Disorder throughout the world – wars and rumors of wars are rampant; the overthrowing of established government; unrest here in the USA
4. Famine and disease – more medicines and more diseases; people starving in a world of plenty.
5. Sinfulness and perversion – you name it and it is rampant. Sodomites are taking over our land; drugs and alcohol have become acceptable ways of life and are openly advertised; marriages breaking up in record numbers and being replaced by “common law” unions.
6. Fear and distress – more people than ever on Paxil, Prozac, sleep aids, etc. Men’s hearts failing them for fear. Uncertainty is the rule of our day while the world rocks and rolls.
D. Many of God’s children are either discouraged in the work or have become casualties and have “fallen through the cracks.” I want to see our people be “steadfast, unmovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord.”
How To Have Spiritual Stability In The Last Days
1. Understand the times in which we live. Luke 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
2. Trust the Lord with your life and livelihood. Matthew 6:31-33 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (32) (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. (33) But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
3. Keep yourself in the will of God. Jude 20-21 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, (21) Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.
4. Watch unto prayer. Philippians 4:6-7 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. (7) And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
5. Stay in church. Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
6. Keep your hearts and minds stayed upon the Lord. Isaiah 26:3-4 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. (4) Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:
7. Keep your eyes on the skies. Titus 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;