Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Our Precious Saviour

Temple Baptist Church - 4-5-2017
1 Peter 2:1-8


Introduction: 

A.  Jesus Christ Is Hated By The World

1.  They Hate His Position  - Luke 19:14  But his citizens hated him, and sent a message after him, saying, We will not have this man to reign over us.

2.  They Hate His Person (The Gospel of John = Deity) - Matthew 11:28-30  Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Matthew 21:5  Tell ye the daughter of Sion, Behold, thy King cometh unto thee, meek, and sitting upon an ass, and a colt the foal of an ass.

Matthew 27:42  He saved others; himself he cannot save. If he be the King of Israel, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe him.

3.  They Hate His Purity - John 15:23-24  He that hateth me hateth my Father also.  If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father.

John 3:20  For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

John 7:7  The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil.

John 15:25  But this cometh to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause.

4.  They Hate His People - John 15:18  If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.

1 John 3:13  Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.

B.  Jesus Christ Is Loved By The Saint

1 Corinthians 16:22  If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha.

John 14:21  He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

JESUS IS PRECIOUS!

1.  He Is Precious To The Father – 2:4

a.  He Is Precious Because He Is An Only Begotten Son - 1 John 4:9  In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

b.  He Is Precious Because He Is An Obedient Son - John 8:29  And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.

Matthew 3:17  And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

c.  He Is Precious Because He Is A Loving Son - John 14:31  But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence.

John 17: 20  Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;  That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.  And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:  I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me. Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.  O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me.  And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.

2.  He is Precious To The Sinner – 2:6

a.  Because Of His Love For Them – John 3:16  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 15:13  Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

b.  Because Of His Sacrifice For Them – 1 Peter 1:18-20  Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, [as] silver and gold, from your vain conversation [received] by tradition from your fathers; 19  But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: 20  Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,

1 Peter 2:6  Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

Isaiah 53:6  All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

c.  Because Of His Promise To Them – Isaiah 28:16  Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.

Matthew 16:18  And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Acts 4:12  Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

3.  He Is Precious To The Saint – 2:6b-7

a.  He Is The Chief Corner Stone Upon Which Our Lives Are Built - Psalms 40:2  He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.

1 Corinthians 3:11  For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Luke 6:46-48    And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?  Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like:  He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.

b.  He Is The Chief Corner Stone Upon Which Our Future Is Secured – vs 9-10 - 2 Timothy 2:19  Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

John 10:28  And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

c.  He Is The Chief Corner Stone Upon Which Our Faith Is Established – vs 6b - Romans 10:11  For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

d.  He Is The Chief Corner Stone Upon Which We Can Rely When All Others Fail – vs 10 - Psalms 27:10  When my father and my mother forsake me, then the LORD will take me up.

Isaiah 49:15  Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee.

Jeremiah 31:3  The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, [saying], Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.

Conclusion:  The most precious thing in this world to us should be that which is most precious to God!  His Son!  If you are lost this morning, the most precious think in this would to you should be Jesus Christ!  Because of His great love, He died for you!

No comments: