Temple Baptist Church - 3-5-2017
1 Corinthians 1:17-31
A. In these verses, we find the wisdom of God and the wisdom of men contrasted. Wisdom is the right application of knowledge and godly wisdom is an indictment upon the “wisdom of men” as they attempt to do away with God. The “wisdom of men” is foolishness to God and the “wisdom of God” is foolishness to men.
2 Timothy 3:7-9 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. (8) Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith. (9) But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was. (Men have great knowledge but, in their knowledge, they resist the truth of God.)
B. Wisdom defined: accumulated knowledge or enlightenment , the trait of utilizing knowledge and experience with common sense and insight, the quality of being prudent and sensible. By my definition, wisdom is the right application of knowledge.
C. One of the attributes of God is that of omniscience.
1. Omniscience comes from two works meaning “all” and “knowledge.” The state of having infinite knowledge. As Dr. B. R. Lakin so put it, “Has it ever occurred to you that nothing has ever occurred to God?”
Isaiah 46:10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:
2. God knows everything about everything! He knows the end from the beginning because He is on both sides of time. I AM THAT I AM declares that God has no time and lives in an eternal moment. He sees the end from the beginning and the beginning from the end.
Revelation 22:13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
D. There is a difference between having knowledge and having wisdom.
1. Many men of our times have had great intellect, extensive education, and yet have died without Christ! That is the most foolish thing that I can think of. “The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God!”
2. To see nature and deny a Creator is foolishness. To see the universe and deny a Creator is foolishness. Men like Confucius who have left behind a legacy of worldly wisdom have denied Christ, died lost, and are in hell today. That is the ultimate foolishness!
E. God not only has all knowledge, He also has all wisdom! God’s knowledge and wisdom are far above that of the smartest and wisest of men.
Revelation 7:12 Saying, Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen.
Isaiah 55:9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. (Notice the analogy here: “as the heavens are higher than the earth.”)
F. When I think of the wisdom of man, I think of Solomon.
1 Kings 4:30-34 And Solomon's wisdom excelled the wisdom of all the children of the east country, and all the wisdom of Egypt. 31 For he was wiser than all men; than Ethan the Ezrahite, and Heman, and Chalcol, and Darda, the sons of Mahol: and his fame was in all nations round about. 32 And he spake three thousand proverbs: and his songs were a thousand and five. 33 And he spake of trees, from the cedar tree that is in Lebanon even unto the hyssop that springeth out of the wall: he spake also of beasts, and of fowl, and of creeping things, and of fishes. 34 And there came of all people to hear the wisdom of Solomon, from all kings of the earth, which had heard of his wisdom. (Solomon was the wisest man who ever lived!)
G. Yet, the Bible declares that Christ was wiser than Solomon!
Matthew 12:42 The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for she came from the uttermost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here.
Romans 11:33 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!
1. The Wisdom Of God Penned Down In The Bible – Proverbs 1:1-5 The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel; 2 To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding; 3 To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity; 4 To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion. 5 A wiseman will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:
Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
2 Peter 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; (There has never been a book like this one. You can live by it and be glad you did! You can trust it and find it true! You can learn from it and find it both factual in its truth and perfect in its detail! What a Bible! What Wisdom!)
2. The Wisdom Of God Previewed In Creation - Genesis 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
Proverbs 3:19 The LORD by wisdom hath founded the earth; by understanding hath he established the heavens.
Psalms 19:1-4 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. 2 Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. 3 There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard. 4 Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun. (God created in wisdom! It was and is still very good – so good that He has never had to change or correct anything in the heavens or the earth. All was created perfectly and remains perfectly unchanged. All of earth and space remain in perfect harmony! What a wise God we serve!)
3. The Wisdom Of God Personified In Jesus Christ - Proverbs 8:1, 22 Doth not wisdom cry? and understanding put forth her voice?...The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.
1 Corinthians 1:24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
Colossians 2:2-3 That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; 3 In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. (Jesus Christ did not have wisdom, He was Wisdom! He never said a wrong word, did a wrong deed, think a wrong thought, or give a wrong advice! He was all wise!)
4. The Wisdom Of God Performed In Salvation - 1 Corinthians 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
1 Corinthians 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
Ephesians 1:6-10 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. 7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace; 8 Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence; 9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself: 10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:
Ephesians 3:8-11 Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ; 9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: 10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God, 11 According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord: (God came to us in grace and mercy. Thank the Lord for His perfectly free salvation!)
5. The Wisdom Of God Personalized In Justification - 1 Corinthians 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
1 Corinthians 2:5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.
1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. (God knew what we were. God knew what we needed. God knew that we could not maintain our salvation. It was perfected in wisdom!)
6. The Wisdom Of God Perfected In Eternity – 1 Corinthians 2:9-10 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. 10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
Psalms 31:19-20 Oh how great is thy goodness, which thou hast laid up for them that fear thee; which thou hast wrought for them that trust in thee before the sons of men! 20 Thou shalt hide them in the secret of thy presence from the pride of man: thou shalt keep them secretly in a pavilion from the strife of tongues.
Hebrews 11:16 But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.
Revelation 21:1-5 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. 2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of Godis with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. 4 And God shall wipe away allgod tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. 5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. (A perfect place prepared for a perfected people! I promise you, you will never be disappointed in Heaven!)