Sunday, February 5, 2017

Departing Without Being Desired

Temple Baptist Church - 2-5-2017
2 Chronicles 21:1-20


Introduction:

A.  I was reading in the Old Testament (2 Chronicles) Tuesday morning and a phrase that I had read many times “stuck out” to me.  I have always known exactly what that phrase meant but, this time—as I am getting older—it became more personal to me.

B.  Though Jehoshaphat was not a perfect king, he was one of the better ones.  The Lord gave 4 chapters in 2 Chronicles that showed the life of this man.  He began well but did not end as well as he should have and his latter days “set the table” for failure in his son, Jehoram, who became king when Jehoshaphat died.

1.  Jehoshaphat’s beginning. 

2 Chronicles 17:3-4  And the LORD was with Jehoshaphat, because he walked in the first ways of his father David, and sought not unto Baalim;  (4)  But sought to the LORD God of his father, and walked in his commandments, and not after the doings of Israel.

2.  Jehoshaphat’s ending.

2 Chronicles 20:35  And after this did Jehoshaphat king of Judah join himself with Ahaziah king of Israel, who did very wickedly:

C.  Jehoshaphat left his children great riches monetarily but destitute spiritually. 

2 Chronicles 21:3  And their father gave them great gifts of silver, and of gold, and of precious things, with fenced cities in Judah: but the kingdom gave he to Jehoram; because he was the firstborn.

D.  Jehoshaphat gave the kingdom to his firstborn, Jehoram.

1.  Jehoram slew his brothers. 

2 Chronicles 21:4  Now when Jehoram was risen up to the kingdom of his father, he strengthened himself, and slew all his brethren with the sword, and divers also of the princes of Israel.

2.  Jehoram married the daughter of Ahab and Jezebel, followed Ahab, with whom Jehoshaphat had affinity. 

2 Chronicles 21:6  And he walked in the way of the kings of Israel, like as did the house of Ahab: for he had the daughter of Ahab to wife: and he wrought that which wasevil in the eyes of the LORD.

E.  At age 40, Jehoram died.  The Bible says that he departed without being desired.”  

1.  No one missed him when he was gone!  It does not mean that no one loved him for I am sure that some people did but no one missed his wisdom, the path that he left, or the legacy of his life. 

2.  A wasted life that his son followed!  Be careful, moms and dads, where you lead your children!!!  Will your life lead your family to godliness and heaven, ungodliness and hell, or simply LEAD THEM NOWHERE!

2 Chronicles 22:1-4  And the inhabitants of Jerusalem made Ahaziah his youngest son king in his stead: for the band of men that came with the Arabians to the camp had slain all the eldest. So Ahaziah the son of Jehoram king of Judah reigned.  (2)  Forty and two years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign, and he reigned one year in Jerusalem. His mother's name also was Athaliah the daughter of Omri.  (3)  He also walked in the ways of the house of Ahab: for his mother was his counsellor to do wickedly.  (4)  Wherefore he did evil in the sight of the LORD like the house of Ahab: for they were his counsellors after the death of his father to his destruction.

F.  Will our lives be “desired” by those who follow us.

1.  I have often thought about my life and wondered how my life will end.  My desire is to leave a legacy of godliness and faithfulness for my family to see and follow.  This is not a thing of pride but one of desire. 

2.  I started right when the Lord saved me and I want to finish right.  I do not want to die “without being desired.”  I do not want to die in failure or with a life that brings reproach to the Lord and my family.

G.  How do we depart “being desired” instead of “without being desired?”

1.  By having a visible conversion to Christ.  I want my wife, children, grandchildren, siblings, and friends to know that what I have is real!  God wrought a wonderful change in my life when I came to Christ and I want the world to know it.

2 Corinthians 5:17  Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Acts 4:12-13  Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.  (13)  Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.

2.  By having an unshakable allegiance to Christ.  I want the Lord to be first!  Not what I want but what He wants in my life. 

Matthew 6:33  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

2 Corinthians 4:17-18  For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;  (18)  While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

3.  By living a consistent life for Christ.  People may not agree with who and what I am but I want them to see consistency in my life.  It they see me, then I have failed, but, if the see Christ in me, I have succeeded!

Colossians 3:3-4  For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.  (4)  When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

2 Timothy 4:7  I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:

4.  By having a blessed assurance of being with Christ.  As most of you know, my favorite song is “Blessed Assurance.”  I certainly know what I believe but I am so glad that I know Who I have believed and that He knows me.

Song of Solomon 6:3  I am my beloved's, and my beloved is mine: he feedeth among the lilies.

2 Timothy 1:12  For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

Acts 7:56, 59  And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God ... Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.

Conclusion:  I want to depart with others having a desire to follow me as I have followed Christ.  I do not want to die “without being desired.”

No comments: