Temple Baptist Church - 1-11-2017
1 Peter 1:9-16
A. Tonight, I want to look at the obligations that go along with our salvation.
1. We rejoice in our great salvation that was purchased with such great price. I am glad that I know the One who died at Calvary! I am glad that I have eternal life through a finished work!
2. But, along with so great salvation comes great obligations. We were created in Christ Jesus unto good works which God hath foreordained that we should walk in them. We are new creatures with a new life in Christ. Old things have passed away and, behold, all things are become new.
B. Verse 13 begins with the word “WHEREFORE!” In the preceding verses, we find that:
1. We have a great salvation – vs. 1-3
2. We have a great reward – vs. 4
3. We have a great grace – vs. 5
4. We have a great joy – vs. 6-8
5. We have a great promise – vs. 9
6. We have a great privilege – vs. 10-12
C. In verses 13-16, we find that we also have a great obligation.
1. We have an obligation to be strong in the Lord – vs. 13 “gird up” (It means to “tuck in a garment” in preparation for a race.)
Joshua 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
2. We have an obligation to be sober minded – vs. 13 “be sober” (It means to be serious; Satan is!)
1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
1 Thessalonians 5:6 Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.
1 Peter 4:7 But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.
3. We have an obligation to be steadfast in our walk – vs. 13 “hope to the end” (It means not to quit or to be double minded!)
1 Corinthians 15:58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.
2 Peter 3:17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.
Hebrews 12:3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.
4. We have an obligation to be submissive to the Lord – vs. 14 “As obedient children” (Children are to obey their parents – Ephesians 6:1!)
Ephesians 4:1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
1 Peter 1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.
5. We have an obligation to be separate from the world – vs. 14 “not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance”
2 Corinthians 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, (Ecclesiastical separation)
Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. (Doctrinal separation)
Hebrews 7:26 For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens; (Personal separation)
Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
6. We have an obligation to be serious about sin – vs. 15 “so be ye holy”
2 Thessalonians 1:10-12 When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day. Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power: That the name of our Lord Jesus Christ may be glorified in you, and ye in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.
7. We have an obligation to be safe from judgment – vs. 16 “for I am holy”
1 Peter 4:17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Galatians 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.