Temple Baptist Church - 8-28-2016
A. The Beatitudes, conditions or statements of blessedness, in the Christian’s life are often what we call an oxymoron: a figure of speech in which two opposite ideas are joined to create an effect or to convey a truth. This morning, I want to look that the Beatitude: “Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.”
B. As we begin, I want to look at a mistake that is too often made: that meekness and weakness are synonymous terms! In our text for this morning, we find that it is the meek that will inherit the earth. Never mistake meekness for weakness! There is an old saying that I often use in reference to my wife. You that know her well know that she sweeter than sugar, quieter than a mouse, and is lovable to all. She brings me pride when she is with me.
C. Let me give you Bible examples that prove that meekness is not weakness.
1. Our Lord Jesus Christ, Almighty God in the flesh, was meek. Matthew 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. (He was not weak.)
Matthew 21:5 Tell ye the daughter of Sion, Behold, thy King cometh unto thee, meek, and sitting upon an ass, and a colt the foal of an ass.
2. Moses, the deliverer and leader of Israel, was meek. Numbers 12:3 (Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth.) (Moses was not weak.)
3. The Apostle Paul, possibily the greatest Christian in the New Testament Era, was meek. 2 Corinthians 10:1 Now I Paul myself beseech you by the meekness and gentleness of Christ, who in presence am base among you, but being absent am bold toward you: (Paul was not weak.)
D. Let me give you Bible examples that prove that meekness is not pacifism.
1. You have an obligation to self-protection as well as the protection of your family and home. Luke 22:36, 38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one ... (38) And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough. (Verse 36 is a command, not an option. God’s people have a Biblical command and a moral obligation, let alone a Constitutional right.)
2. You have an obligation to protect your family and home. Proverbs 17:12 Let a bear robbed of her whelps meet a man, rather than a fool in his folly. (God made animals naturally protect their young at the risk of their lives. I personally have no use for a man who will not protect his family.)
3. You have an obligation to protect your nation. Psalms 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
2 Samuel 17:8 For, said Hushai, thou knowest thy father and his men, that they be mighty men, and they be chafed in their minds, as a bear robbed of her whelps in the field: and thy father is a man of war, and will not lodge with the people.
E. Spiritual meekness is not something that comes naturally. Colossians 3:12 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;
F. Meekness defined: mildness of disposition, gentleness of spirit, meekness - Meekness toward God is that disposition of spirit in which we accept His dealings with us as good, and therefore without disputing or resisting.
1. Meekness is being weak to defend one's own opinions, but strong to defend God and His Word;
2. Meekness is being weak to promote self, but strong to promote God and His Way
3. Meekness is being weak toward fulfilling one’s own will, but strong toward doing His Will
G. The blessings of meekness:
1. The Meek are content with God’s Dealings. Psalm 22:26 The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the LORD that seek him: your heart shall live for ever. (Contentment with godliness.)
2. The Meek follow God’s Leading. Psalm 25:9 The meek will he guide in judgment: and the meek will he teach his way.
3. The Meek find their Joy in the Lord. Isaiah 29:19 The meek also shall increase their joy in the LORD, and the poor among men shall rejoice in the Holy One of Israel.
4. The Meek are Spirit Filled. Galatians 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
5. The Meek realize their own Limitations. Galatians 6:1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.
6. The Meek are Longsuffering. 2 Timothy 2:25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
7. The Meek are not Brawlers. Titus 3:2 To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men.
8. The Meek are Doers of God’s Word. James 1:21-22 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able
to save your souls. But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.