Sunday, July 31, 2016

Brethren, Pray For Us

Temple Baptist Church - 7-31-2016

1 Thessalonians 5:25


Introduction:

A.  Here, we find a direct reference to praying for God’s man. 

1.  Every one of us is important and we are continually under satanic attack.  Satan would love nothing more than to see any one of you get out of the will of God and commit sin or become apathetic and unfaithful. 

2.  You can look around you tonight and see the empty places that were once filled.  These people were once a part of us and helped to win souls and support missions.

B.  Tonight, I want to take a look at God’s men and the importance of praying for them.  Pastors, evangelists, missionaries!

Zechariah 13:7  Awake, O sword, against my shepherd, and against the man that is my fellow, saith the LORD of hosts: smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered: and I will turn mine hand upon the little ones.

Mark 14:27  And Jesus saith unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered.

C.  Because of the importance of these positions (this does not mean that these men are more important than you), Satan concentrates upon pastors, evangelists, and missionaries.  If Satan can defile or discourage these men, our churches will become ineffective in the work of the ministry and the weaker brethren will begin to fall to the wayside.

Ephesians 4:11-14  And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;  (12)  For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:  (13)  Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:  (14)  That we henceforth be no more childrentossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

D.  I want to look at this next verses closely:

Romans 15:30-32  Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spiritthat ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;  (31)  That I may be delivered from them that do not believe in Judaea; and that my service which I have for Jerusalem may be accepted of the saints;  (32)  That I may come unto you with joy by the will of God, and may with you be refreshed.

1.  Pray for their Protection – Romans 15:31a “That I may be delivered from them that do not believe in Judaea;”

2 Thessalonians 3:1-2  Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you: 2 And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men:for all men have not faith.
2.   Pray for their Work – Romans 15:31b “and that my service which I have for Jerusalem may be acceptedof the saints;”

3.  Pray for their Spiritual Well-being – Romans 15:31c “That I may come unto you with joy by the will of God”

4.  Pray for their Exhortation – Romans 15:31d “and may with you be refreshed.” 

5.  Pray for their Boldness - Ephesians 6:18-19  Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;  (19)  And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,

6.  Pray for their Preaching - 2 Thessalonians 3:1-2  Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you:  (2)  And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men: for all men have not faith.


No comments: