Sunday, May 8, 2016

Mother’s Day

Temple Baptist Church - 5-8-2016
Ephesians 6:1-3


Introduction: 

A.  We have come to one of the most important days of the year, Mother’s Day! 

B.  A time to elevate ladies to the place that the Lord chose for them:  wives and mothers.  Two of the most important jobs in the world.  Many mothers have to work outside jobs but there are no jobs as important as being good wives and mothers. 

C.  We, unfortunately, through the years have lost the true meaning of both manhood and womanhood!  In the midst of today’s confusion, we Bible believers are not the least bit confused.  I know a real woman when I see one.

1.  As the man is the head of the home, you ladies are the heart of the home.  My two mothers were so special.  My mom was the most wonderful mother ever.  She loved her husband, her home, and her kids/grandkids.  Mom put her family above all but her Lord.  When my mom died, I was by her side and bent over her in the hospital and said, “It’s alright, mom, you can go on home.”  I had the privilege to preach funeral. 

2.  After mom’s funeral, I told my mother-in-law that as long as she lived I still had a mom.  She loved me as much as she did her own kids. JActually she loved me more!  I was in the hospital room when she died also and had the privilege to preach her funeral also.

3.  I have been blessed with a wife that is “top of the line.”  She has loved me for the past 54 years and I can look at her this morning and say that I have loved you a little longer than that because I saw her walking down Wilson Street before she ever saw me!  My two sons have the most wonderful gift that God ever gave in their mother.

D.  Everything today is “scrambled eggs” and very little is as it should be.  God made the roles of men and women very distinct and yet complementary!   Some people think that I have placed the women in a sub-par position.  On the contrary, I place women in the Biblical position that God created them for.  Ladies, you are not second class either in the local church or in the home.  God made you special.

E.  Ladies, this is your special day but then everyday should be your special day!  I want to thank and praise our precious ladies here at Temple.  You are the “heart” of our church.  I do not know what we would do without our ladies.  You are irreplaceable!  As my two moms cannot be replaced, you ladies cannot be replaced.  You are special and appreciated.

F.  I want to note two things in our verses for this morning: obey and honour.

1.  Obey your mother.  Because no one on earth desires your well-being like your mother.  She is on your side.  She desires ONLY the best for you.  She is interested in who and what you are.  She desires for you to reach your potential and become who and what you can be.  Your best interest is her prayer to God for you.

2.  Honor your mother.  Because no one on earth could have taken any better care of you!  She was there when you were born! J  She held you to her breast so that you could hear the heartbeat of love, comfort, and safety.  She made sure that you were clean, clothed, and fed.  She was your first teacher, advisor, and counselor.  She backed you, stood up for you, and loved you like no other on this earth.  She was there for you then as she is there for you now.  She is your mother!

G.  If your mother or mother-in-law is alive today, see them or call them.  One day, as with my two mothers, they will be gone and there will only be a grave to adorn.  They are special.

1.  The Wife And Mother Is To Be Loved - Ephesians 5:25  Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it.

2.  The Wife And Mother Is To Be Cherished - Ephesians 5:29  For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church.  (To keep warm or to foster with care-to handle carefully as the weaker vessel.)

3.  The Wife And Mother Is To Be Respected - 1 Kings 2:19  Bathsheba therefore went unto king Solomon, to speak unto him for Adonijah. And the king rose up to meet her, and bowed himself unto her, and sat down on his throne, and caused a seat to be set for the king’s mother; and she sat on his right hand.

4.  The Wife And Mother Is To Be Obeyed - Proverbs 6:20   My son, keep thy father’s commandment, and forsake not the law of thy mother:

5.  The Wife And Mother Is to Be Honored - 1 Peter 3:7  Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.

Ephesians 6:2  Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;)
Exodus 20:12   Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

6.  The Wife And Mother is To Be Praised - Proverbs 31:28-30  Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.  Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.  Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised.  (Never take her for granted-she may not always be there.)

No comments: