Temple Baptist Church - 12-6-2015
1 Thessalonians 5:1-7
A. Last week, we took a short look at time from God’s perspective. Six thousand years have gone since the creation of the heavens and the earth. God’s allotted time for man to work is at end. The Bible speaks of the coming night when no man works. The Rapture of the Church and the beginning of Jacob’s Trouble or the Tribulation Period is about to begin.
B. God’s people know what time it is! I want to look at the verses that I read tonight in light of the times.
1. When Christ came the first time, both Israel and the world slept. Matthew 4:16 The people which sat in darkness saw great light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung up. (Only a few were aware of His first coming. In the darkness of religion, Israel slept! In the darkness of sin, the world slept.
2. When Christ comes again for His Church, both Christendom and the world once again sleep. Christendom sleeps in the darkness of their religion. Lukewarm speaks of comfort: not too hot and not too cold. The world again sleeps in their sinfulness.
C. God’s church is to be awake in this hour in which we live. We are to be expectant. We are to be excited. We are to be encouraged. We are to be exhorting one another. We are to be evangelizing the lost.
1. God’s children are children of light, not darkness. 1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
2. God’s children are the light of the world. Matthew 5:14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
3. God’s children are not to walk in darkness. John 8:12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
D. Have you ever sat in front of a fire and gotten sleepy? We have a fireplace that is used and, when there is an open fire in it and we are sitting in our recliners, it is almost impossible to stay awake. In our day of apathy and lukewarmness, it is easy to take a spiritual nap.
Romans 13:11-12 And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. (12) The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.
E. When you are sleepy, you are virtually useless! I know that I am.
1. Sleepers are out of touch with reality – They do not properly access the spiritual decline of self, loved ones, or the church.
2. Sleepers spend most of their time dreaming – They do not have a proper perspective of what is going on around them.
3. Sleepers are very comfortable – They are lethargic. They have no desire to spiritually grow as they are comfortable where they are.
4. Sleepers do not like to be disturbed – They do not like straight preaching; they do not like revivals; they do not like serving the church or each other; they do not like to labor in the Lord’s vineyard.
5. Sleepers do not hear and respond well – They becomes hearers of the Word. They apply it to others while ignoring it in their personal lives.
6. Sleepers are not aware of the needs of others – Their lives revolves around their own person desires and well-being.
7. Sleepers get nothing done – The work of the ministry remains done by other; the buildings and grounds can fall down if someone else does not take care of them;
F. The effects of spiritual sleep.
1. Fall into Satan’s Snare - Proverbs 6:4-5 Give not sleep to thine eyes, nor slumber to thine eyelids. Deliver thyself as a roe from the hand of the hunter, and as a bird from the hand of the fowler.
1. Brings to spiritual poverty - Proverbs 6:6-11 Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise: Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler, Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest. How long wilt thou sleep, O sluggard? when wilt thou arise out of thy sleep? Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep: So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth, and thy want as an armed man. (progression)
Proverbs 20:13 Love not sleep, lest thou come to poverty; open thine eyes, and thou shalt be satisfied with bread.
2. Causes the harvest to perish - Proverbs 10:5 He that gathereth in summer is a wise son: but he that sleepeth in harvest is a son that causeth shame.
3. Causes to give into sin - Luke 22:46 And said unto them, Why sleep ye? rise and pray, lest ye enter into temptation.
4. Causes you to fall out of church - Acts 20:9 And there sat in a window a certain young man named Eutychus, being fallen into a deep sleep: and as Paul was long preaching, he sunk down with sleep, and fell down from the third loft, and was taken up dead.
a. Become unfaithful
b. Become undependable
5. Causes you to stumble - Ephesians 5:14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.