Temple Baptist Church - 3-29-2015
A. I have thought much about verse 25 over the past few days.
1. I have never personally heard a message on this subject but could not get away with the solemn truth found in the verse: “his blood be on us, and on our children!” As Jesus Christ was at the end of His earthly life, He stood before Israel as the Messiah: the chosen and anointed of God!
2. The Messiah: longed for and looked for four thousand years. John the Baptist paved the way for “The Way” and introduced Him to the Nation of Israel in John 1:29. The Lamb of God to put an end to the seemingly endless line of lambs slaughtered for the atonement of the people.
3. The Nation of Israel rejected the Messiah as prophesied in Isaiah 53. But the Nation of Israel did something else that I want to deal with for a few minutes this morning, one week before Resurrection Sunday. They placed the curse of the rejection of the blood of Christ upon themselves and their posterity.
B. For the past 2,000 years, the blood of Christ has certainly been a curse upon the nation of Israel as they have suffered greatly as a people.
1. No nation has been hated more than Israel. In our day, nations are turning their backs on Israel while siding with their natural enemies that surround them.
2. There has been genocide as wicked nations have implemented “ethnic cleansing” as the “weapon of choice” to eliminate Israel. Through it all, the Lord has allowed Israel to survive but the curse of the rejected Messiah and His blood remain to our day.
C. One of the most important doctrines in the Bible is that of the blood of Christ. It is a doctrine often attacked or maligned. It has even been called “Slaughterhouse Religion” by some religious infidels.
1. It was precious blood! 1 Peter 1:18-19 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; (19) But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
2. It was perfect blood! Matthew 27:3-4 Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, (4) Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us? see thou to that.
3. It was the blood of God! Hebrews 9:12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.
D. The Curse of the Blood of Christ:
1. It is a Foolish Curse – “Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us,” Look at the willfulness of the curse in our verse. 2 Peter 2:21-22 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them. (22) But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire. (People act as if there is no God; that there is no accountability; that there is no eternity; that they will not have to face God personally.)
2. It is a Family Curse – “AND on our children” – that is a calloused statement. Exodus 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; (Praying a curse upon one’s children is reprehensible! Absolutely no regard for the eternal state of the little ones that they love so much! Our children depend upon our example as a straight and narrow way to follow. I see the signs that say, “If my children follow me, they will be drug free.” If my children follow me, where will they spend eternity?)
3. It is a Final Curse – Israel has never asked to have that curse removed and it will remain until they look on Him whom they pierced! Eternity is real and approaching for each and every one us. When we die or when He shall appear, then all hope will be gone! It does not have to be that way.
1. To deny the blood of Christ is to deny the redemptive work of our Lord Jesus Christ.
2. To deny the blood of Christ is to pronounce one’s own personal eternal damnation.
3. To deny the blood of Christ is to “slap the face of almighty God” who loves you and sent His only begotten Son to die for your sin. He shed His blood for you!
4. It is a Curse that can be Fixed – Zechariah 12:10 And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.
Romans 11:26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: