Sunday, January 18, 2015

Young Men

Temple Baptist Church - 1-18-2015
Titus 2:6-8
 
 
Introduction:
 
A.   We have looked at the responsibilities of the aged men and women with regard to their example and teaching.  We need godly, faithful, sober, wise older people in our churches because they are the salt of the local church.
 
B.  Tonight, I want to take a biblical look at the young men in the local church.  Unfortunately, in many churches, they are scarce!    You will find more young women trying to be faithful and bring their children than you will young men trying to spiritually lead their homes and train their children.
 
C.  Also, many of the young men with families may be faithful so some degree in attendance but are not involved in the work of the church.  As the older men get feebler and, therefore, unable to carry the work load, the work of the church is hindered.  Most of the men involved in getting the work of the church done are over 60!
 
D.  I want to exhort our younger men to get involved in the work of the church!  When I was a young man and a new convert, I was thrust into the work of the church because of a church split that found many of the workers of the church leaving.  I drove a church bus, taught a SS class, let the singing, maintained the grounds and buildings, and knocked on doors because there were few to do these things.  Like many, I worked long hours, drove a great distance to work, had a young family and still found time to serve the Lord.  I am glad!
 
E.  Younger men, if you do not “step up to the plate,” the church will die within the next few years because the older laborers will be gone!
 
1.  We need young men who are strong.  “Young men”  1 John 2:14  I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.  (Young men have strength to labor.  I feel good but am slowing down.  I often say that a hard day’s work and a glass of cold water would probably kill me grave yard dead!  In my youth, I could work long hours, spend time with my family, work at the church, go soul winning, etc. but those days are gone.  Young families, the local church need for you to step up and shoulder the work.)
 
2.  We need young men who are useable.  “exhort to be”  1 Timothy 4:12  Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity. (So many young men have no desire to serve the Lord.  Serving the Lord seems to be an “old man” thing.  I remember well the example of a young man who had a thumb cut off shaking my hand at church when I was small.  He was a steadfast, godly young man and I will always remember him well because of his right hand.)
 
3.  We need young men who are a right example.  “In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works” 1 Timothy 4:12  Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity. (I have seen bumper stickers that said, “Real men pray.”  Real men are not afraid to be an outspoken example of biblical Christianity.)
 
 
4.  We need young men who are doctrinally grounded. to be sober minded” 1 John 2:14  I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.  (Young men who will stand in the gap, make up the hedge, walk in the Old Paths, be an example, and be faithful.  Young men who have heard and accepted God’s Word; who have read and studied God’s Word; and who can teach their families and other’s God’s Word.)
 
5.  We need young men who live consistent, godly lives.   that cannot be condemned” 1 John 2:14  I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one. (Young men who will step up and replace those of us who are older now and are slowing down or leaving this world.  The local churches are in desperate need of young men who are willing to live clean lives and serve the Lord in the local church.  Young wives and mothers, you can work and teach in the church but the greatest thing that you will ever do is be the supportive wife and godly mother in your home.  Your husband and children can never be all that they need to be unless you are all that you need to be.)

No comments: