Temple Baptist Church - 9-10-2014
1 John 3:1
A. “Us” in this verse does not mean “Christendom” in general. Christendom is generic term that represents all denominations that claim to be Christian. The majority of these churches and denominations are accepted by the world because they are of the world. They are worldly in their demeanor; they are worldly I their worship; they are worldly in their message; they are WORLDLY! A few days ago, I watched a video taken at one of the New Spring churches that showed a rock band singing “Highway To Hell,” a song sung by the rock band AC/DC. New Spring is one of the larger so called churches that has so appealed to the ungodly.
1. These modern churches have a message that is palatable to the world.
2. These modern churches have music that is mesmerizing to the world.
3. These modern churches have standards that are acceptable to the world.
4. These modern churches make no demands of the world.
B. The world rejects those who not only claim to be saved but also bear the straight and narrow fruit of righteousness. The world does not reject the message of the modern day churches but they completely reject the message of the bible.
1 John 4:5-6 They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. (6) We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.
John 8:47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.
John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
C. The first mention of spiritual division between God’s people and the people of the devil is found in the Garden of Eden.
Genesis 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel. (The woman’s seed was posterity while the serpent’s seed was production!)
D. God’s people have never been popular in this world. The world hated God, God’s prophets and apostles, John the Baptist and the 12 apostles, believers, and Jesus Christ most of all. If we are who we say we are and if we act like God’s children, we will never be popular with this world because we are not of this world
1. Because biblical salvation produces righteousness - Titus 2:11-12 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, (12) Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
2. Righteousness brings about persecution - 2 Timothy 3:12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.
1. The believer will be rejected, reviled, and persecuted by the world. Matthew 5:11-16 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. (12) Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you. (13) Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. (14) Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. (15) Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. (16) Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
a. The believer is rejected because Christ was rejected - John 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
b. The believer is reviled because Christ was reviled - Matthew 27:39 And they that passed by reviled him, wagging their heads, (Revile is to vilify! We become the “bad guys” while the wicked become the “good guys.” Who have we hurt? We try to win the lost to Christ. We love the sinner and welcome him/her in our church.)
c. The believer is persecuted because Christ was persecuted - John 15:18-19 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. (19) If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
2. The believer will be divided from his/her own family. Matthew 10:34-36 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. (35) For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. (36) And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
a. There will be division instead of peace. Your family may love you with all of their hearts, but they do not love what you have become to love: righteousness, holiness, and the Lord!
b. Your family will become your spiritual foes. They will try to keep you from following the Lord wholly. They will battle with you spiritually because the spiritual change made in your life will show up the lack of the same in theirs.
Conclusion: In Luke 6:22-23, our Lord said, “ Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake. (23) Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets.”
John 15:18-21 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. (19) If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you. (20) Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also. (21) But all these things will they do unto you for my name's sake, because they know not him that sent me.