Temple Baptist Church - 11-20-2013
A. For the past few weeks, we have dealt with the authority or “pecking order” in the home. Every member of the home is to be subject to God’s commands concerning their place in the home. No one is without biblical authority or responsibility.
B. In our text verse for tonight, the Lord deals with the employer-employee relationship. Without submission to God given authority, there can be no submission to God! When we “buck” the system, “buck” authority in the home, “buck” the authority at work or school, we are “bucking” the God who ordained these authorities.
C. From birth to death, each of us are under many kinds of authority. It would do us well to recognize these authorities that the Lord had created and submit to them as unto the Lord. Let us look at some of these authorities.
1. There is the authority of God. Genesis 2:16-17 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. (The first commandment to be followed was given by God.)
2. There is the authority of Christ. Ephesians 1:20-22 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places, Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come: And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
3. There is the authority of Scripture. 2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
4. There is home authority. Colossians 3 and Ephesians 6. There is the authority of the Lord over the father, the authority of the husband over both the wife and the children, and the authority of both husband and wife over the children.
5. There is pastoral authority. Hebrews 13:17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.
6. There is governmental authority. Romans 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
1 Peter 2:13-14 Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well.
7. There is employer authority. Ephesians 6:5-9 Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ; (6) Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart; (7) With good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men: (8) Knowing that whatsoever good thing any man doeth, the same shall he receive of the Lord, whether he be bond or free. (9) And, ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing threatening: knowing that your Master also is in heaven; neither is there respect of persons with him.