Temple Baptist Church - 9-5-2012
A. Stand Fast! Ephesians 6:13 says, “Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.” We certainly live in “the evil day” and have to withstand the attacks of Satan on every hand. The admonition to “stand fast” is a necessary one because everything is moving in the wrong direction and God’s people have become the “bad guys” in the midst of it.
B. These last days are days of great falling.
1. There is a great Falling away - 2 Thessalonians 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; (We are becoming more of a minority with each passing day.)
2. There is a great Falling down - 1 Corinthians 10:12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall. (Personal failure has “shot holes” in our ranks over the past few years.)
C. These last days are days of great failing.
1. The Failure of society. Adultery has become an affair. Abortion has become pro-choice. Fornication has become free love. Cursing and swearing are no longer as offensive as they once were. If it feels good, do it has become the motto of the youth of America as well as the elder generation
2. The Failure of schools. The public school system has instilled their religion, humanism, into the children of America. These children are self-centered and situation ethics has become the rule of the day.
3. The Failure of families. Homes built upon sand will not stand the storms of this life. Homes are being systematically destroyed, leaving children “homeless!”
D. Not just “stand fast” but “stand fast in the Lord!” In order for you and me to stand, we will have to stand in something other than our own strength.
1. It will take God’s Power - Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
2. It will take God’s Grace - 2 Timothy 2:1 Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.
3. It will take God’s Protection - Psalms 4:8 I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety.
E. These Need To Be Days of Great Faithfulness - 1 Corinthians 16:13 Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong.
HOW TO STAND
1. Stand Fast - Corinthians 15:58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.
2. Stand Praying - 1 Thessalonians 5:17 Pray without ceasing.
3. Stand United - Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
4. Stand Strong - Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
5. Stand Assured - John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
6. Stand Rejoicing - Philippians 3:1 Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things to you, to me indeed is not grievous, but for you it is safe.
7. Stand Pure - 1 John 3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
8. Stand Content - Philippians 4:11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.