Temple Baptist Church 3-25-2012
A. We have read one of my favorite passages concerning the house of the Lord. In them we find:
1. Verse 1 – Our Loving
2. Verse 2 – Our Longing
3. Verse 3 – Our Living
4. Verse 4 – Our Lingering
B. I fell in love with the church when I got saved and have not changed in my feelings for it. It has been the “center piece” of our home both before and after I was called into the ministry. In 1983, my family left our home, families, and friends for the ministry that the Lord called me to. We left not knowing where we would go or even what the Lord had for us to do but knowing that the God of our salvation knew. Four years later, we came here to Laurens.
C. A quarter of a century has passed since my family first came through the front doors of this church.
1. I have no regrets. I would not pastor another church! The greatest people on earth grace these pews. We are not a huge church nor are we a rich one but we are a blessed one! The Lord has been good to us and for that I am appreciative.
2. I have no other desires. I am looking for nothing else. As far as I am concerned, I will spend the rest of my life in Laurens County. My family has two homes: Kentucky from whence we came and SC where we live. We have two families: our blood kin whom we love with all of our hearts and our spiritual kin which we love with all of our hearts also.
D. Not only do we have no regrets or desires, my family is happy here. It has been 25 good years.
1. We have laughed and we have cried.
2. We have married and we have buried.
3. We have gained some and we have lost some.
4. We have won some here and many on the field to the Lord.
5. We have not dipped our colors nor compromised our standards.
6. We have stayed in the old paths with the old black Book.
7. We are getting a little older and a lot closer to Heaven.
8. We are continuing in those things that are right and holy.
9. We are excited about serving the Lord and the prospect of His coming.
10. We are, by God’s grace, expecting to serve the Lord until He calls us home.
11. We will continue to love one another and keep unity in the church.
12. We are committed to the fight for right and the souls of men.
E. For 25 years, we have strived together to have consistency in purpose.
1. We Live In A Hard Time
a) A Time Of Great Adversity – Satan
b) A Time Of Great Temptation – Sin
2. We Live In A Hard Place
a) Everyone Is Religious
b) Everyone Is Satisfied
3. We Have A Hard Job Ahead
a) We Are Responsible For The Upholding The Truth
b) We Are Responsible For Dispensing The Truth
F. I believe that consistency in purpose needs to be maintained in order to have a church that is pleasing to the Lord. Here are just a few things that I believe that we need to have at Temple.
1. A Church Where The Word Of God Is magnified.
Psalms 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.
2 Thessalonians 3:1 Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you:
2. A Church Where The Son Of God Is Glorified.
John 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
John 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.
3. A Church Where The Old Paths Are Adhered To.
Jeremiah 6:16 Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.
Jeremiah 18:15-17 Because my people hath forgotten me, they have burned incense to vanity, and they have caused them to stumble in their ways from the ancient paths, to walk in paths, in a way not cast up; (16) To make their land desolate, and a perpetual hissing; every one that passeth thereby shall be astonished, and wag his head. (17) I will scatter them as with an east wind before the enemy; I will shew them the back, and not the face, in the day of their calamity.
4. A Church Where Worship Is Welcome.
John 4:23-24 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. (24) God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
5. A Church Where A Godly Testimony Is Maintained.
Exodus 3:4-6 And when the LORD saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses. And he said, Here am I. (5) And he said, Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground. (6) Moreover he said, I am the God of thy father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon God. (Today’s churches have gone casual while I find no place in the Bible where God’s people ever came casually into His presence.)
6. A Church Where A Family Attitude Evidenced.
Acts 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
7. A Church Where Missionaries Are Loved And Welcomed.
2 Corinthians 8:3-4 For to their power, I bear record, yea, and beyond their power they were willing of themselves; (4) Praying us with much intreaty that we would receive the gift, and take upon us the fellowship of the ministering to the saints.
8. A Church Where Sinners Are Loved And Welcomed.
1 Corinthians 6:9-11 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, (10) Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. (11) And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.
9. A Church Where Are Children Can Grow Up Spiritually.
Psalms 84:2-4 My soul longeth, yea, even fainteth for the courts of the LORD: my heart and my flesh crieth out for the living God. (3) Yea, the sparrow hath found an house, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young, even thine altars, O LORD of hosts, my King, and my God. (4) Blessed are they that dwell in thy house: they will be still praising thee. Selah.
10. A Church That You Never Have To Be Ashamed Of! A church that you can invite your friends, family, and neighbors to. A church that you can identify with when people ask you where you go to church. A church where you do not have to apologize for either God’s people or God’s man. We have a good church with wonderful people. Let’s keep it that way.