Temple Baptist Church - 12-11-2011
A. One of the most blessed truths found in the Bible is that of the love of God for sinners. John 3:16 is possibly the most noted and quoted of all verses of scripture and the least comprehended. When I think of the world, I see the sin and sorrow that permeates it. When God sees the world, He sees sinners in need of the Saviour! As we get closer to Christmas, our hearts should be joyful because of the gift of God given on that night some 2,000 years ago.
B. We can never fathom the love of God that was displayed in John 3:16 where God so love the world that He gave His only begotten Son!
Ephesians 3:17-19 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, (18) May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; (19) And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
1. The Breadth Of God’s Love – 1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. (His love is from Pole to Pole. His love is from the East to the West. His love is from Wall to Wall. The Love of God covers every man, woman, and child. There are none exempt and there are none excluded! There is not a race, color, or creed rejected! His love is for the whole world! I cannot understand it, but I believe it!)
2. The Length Of God’s Love – Psalms 86:15 But thou, O Lord, art a God full of compassion, and gracious, longsuffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth. (God’s love is not only universal in its scope; it is longsuffering in its forbearance. God is compassionate, gracious, longsuffering, and merciful. I did not deserve to receive it nor do I deserve to keep it. The Lord has been far better to me than I deserve and I am eternally grateful for it. I cannot understand it, but I have seen it!)
3. The Depth Of God’s Love – 1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. (The wickedest man in the world is a candidate for His great salvation. It matters not what you have done; it matters not what you have thought; it matters not where you came from! His love goes to the deepest in sin and despair. I cannot understand it, but I have received it!)
4. The Height Of God’s Love – Romans 5:20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound: (His wonderful love is far greater than all of our sin put together. God’s gracious love is always there and you cannot sin your salvation away. He will forgive 70 times 7 and never exhaust his love or forgiveness. I cannot understand it, but I have experienced it!)
C. “Good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people!” It is the Lord’s desire that all people know and experience the love of God which the angel spoke of on that night.
D. I want to look at some aspects of that love this morning:
1. In Bethlehem We Find God’s Love Manifested In The Gift Of Christ - 1 John 4:9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.
2. At Calvary We Find God’s Love Commended At The Cross - Romans 5:8-9 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. 9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
3. In Salvation We Find God’s Love Bestowed In Our Sonship - 1 John 3:1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
4. In Choice We Find God’s Love Believed By The Sinner - 1 John 4:16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
5. In Relationship We Find God’s Love Perceived By The Saint - 1 John 3:16 Hereby perceive we the love [of God], because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down [our] lives for the brethren.
6. In Witness We Find God’s Love Shed Abroad In The Spirit - Romans 5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
7. In Fellowship We Find God’s Love Dwelling In The Heart - 1 John 3:17 But whoso hath this world’s good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels [of compassion] from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
Conclusion: Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so. “Oh, how He loves you and me! Oh, how He loves you and me! His love was manifested in the giving of His only begotten Son, Jesus Christ. Jesus to Calvary did go. His precious blood to bestow. He gave His life; what more could He do! Oh, how he loves you! Oh, how He loves me! Oh, how He loves you and me!”