Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Cities of Refuge: Shechem

Temple Baptist Church - 6-12-2011

Joshua 20:1-9

Introduction:

A. The Cities of Refuge, in type, show us some of the things that we have in Christ. Last week we studied Kedesh which means “Holiness”.

a. We saw Positional Holiness – Our Position in Christ.

b. We saw Perfect Holiness – Our Perfection in Christ.

c. We saw Permanent Holiness – Our in Eternity.

B. It is interesting that the second city of Refuge was Shechem or “shoulder.”

Psalms 18:1-2 I will love thee, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.

a. The Shoulder Is A Place Of Strength. I normally carry very heavy burdens upon my shoulders. Heavy burdens can be much more easily carried there.

b. The Shoulder Is A Place Of Safety. When our two sons were small, I would often carry them upon my shoulder. They were easy to carry there; they were easy to keep up; they were safe from all harm.

C. I find it interesting that “shoulder” is actually an old testament word. The only reference to the shoulder in the new testament is found in Luke where the shepherd leaves the ninety and nine to find the lost sheep and, when He finds it, lays it upon his “shoulders.”

D. Shechem or "shoulder" is the place that undergirds the heavy load. The ox pushed against the yoke with his massive shoulders. The high priest bore upon his shoulders the names of the 12 tribes of Israel on the Day of Atonement. The wandering sheep rests upon the shoulders of a loving shepherd. The Lord Jesus Christ is a "shoulder" to bear your burdens, whatever they might be.

E. As the old testament priest bore the children of Israel upon his shoulders, the Lord Jesus Christ (our High Priest) cares for the child of God.

1. He Cares For The Wandering Saint – The Lord never ceases to love and care for us when we are not what we need to be. His love never changes; it never diminishes! As He loved Israel, He loves us with an everlasting love. He rejoices when we are returned to the fellowship of the fold.

Luke 15: 1-7 Then drew near unto him all the publicans and sinners for to hear him. And the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, This man receiveth sinners, and eateth with them. And he spake this parable unto them, saying, What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it? And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost. I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

a. The Lost Sheep Was A Sheep (coin was a coin, son was a son)

b. He Left The Ninety And Nine To Find The Lost One

c. He Carried The Lost One On His Shoulders

d. He Carried The Lost One Rejoicing!

2. He Cares For The Helpless Saint – It is the Lord that feeds us and leads us. It is the Lord that protects and guards us. Safety is of the Lord. He has hedged us about.

Isaiah 40:10-11 Behold, the Lord GOD will come with strong hand, and his arm shall rule for him: behold, his reward is with him, and his work before him. He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.

a. He Feeds His Flock

b. He Carries His Young

c. He Carries His Young Next To His Heart

d. He Gently Leads Those With Young

3. He Cares For The Old Saint – We live in a day when the old people are being cast aside. I love nursing home ministries but it breaks my heart to see the condition of the old. Many need to be there because they need constant care but many of them never see a loved one. I am so glad that the Lord love us older folks. We are closer to home with each passing day.

Isaiah 46:4 And even to your old age I am he; and even to hoar hairs will I carry you: I have made, and I will bear; even I will carry, and will deliver you.

a. He Has Made You

b. He Will Carry You

c. He Will Deliver You Safely Home

4. He Cares For The Weary Saint – Sometimes, I get tired of the way. I am not tired of the way but often get weary of this life with its troubles. The Lord understands what it is to be weary and worn. Life will wear you down if you let it.

Song of Solomon 8:5 Who is this that cometh up from the wilderness, leaning upon her beloved?

Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

a. He Carries The Weary Through The Wilderness Places

b. He Allows Them To Lean Upon Him

c. He Gives Rest To The Weary

5. He Cares For The Burdened Saint – God cares about what you care about. Sometimes we get the feeling that He does not care when things go wrong or the world gets the advantage. He does care; He always cares.

1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

Psalms 55:22 Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.

a. There Is No Care That He Will Not Help With (all your care)

b. He Cares For You When You Are Burdened

c. He Will Sustain You Through It All

d. He Will Not Allow You To Fall

6. He Cares For The Dying Saint – Tuesday, as I was out visiting, I stopped at Tracy Patterson’s grave for a little while. I squatted down beside of her tomb stone and looked at the embossed picture of her and “Binky” for a few minutes. I loved that precious lady and often stop bye when I am out that way. The Lord cared when Tracy got sick! The Lord cared as Tracy suffered! The Lord cared on the day that He took Tracy home. I led Tracy to the Lord on her birthday. I will never forget what she said after she got saved. She looked at me and said, “That’s the best birthday present that I ever got.” She is at home and it was a precious day for the Lord when she died. The Lord appointed a day for us to die because He cares.

Luke 16:22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham’s bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

Psalms 23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

a. Death Is A Door

b. Death Is A Deliverance

c. He Will Be There For You

No comments: