Temple Baptist Church - 11-10-2010
A. The first 3 chapters of Ephesians are Positional while the last 3 are Practical. As the Holy Ghost begins to prepare the Ephesian believers for both living a consistent Christian life and the spiritual warfare to come, He ends the Positional portion with a prayer and praise.
B. Paul has just finished a four-fold prayer for the believers at the Church of Ephesus:
1. A Prayer For Inner Strength That Comes Only Through God –vs. 16
2. A Prayer For Inner Faith That Comes Only Through Confidence In God – vs. 17a
3. A Prayer For Inner Knowledge Of The Love Of God That Comes Only Through Scripture And Personal Walk With The Lord – vs. 17b
a) The comprehension of the incomprehensible
b) The knowledge of the unknowable
c) The finite mind understanding to a degree the infinite God
4. A Prayer For The Fullness Of God – vs. 19b
C. Paul ends his prayer with worship in what we call a Doxology. A Doxology is a fervent utterance of praise. It speaks of God’s great Power, Ability, and Willingness to do in the life of the believer.
1. This Doxology Speaks Of The Greatness Of God’s Power – “Now unto him that is able to do”
a. God has all power in Heaven and Earth
1) No situation dismays Him - Matthew 19:26 But Jesus beheld [them], and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.
2) No situation is beyond His resources - Psalms 50:12 If I were hungry, I would not tell thee: for the world [is] mine, and the fulness thereof.
3) No situation is out of His control - Genesis 18:14 Is any thing too hard for the LORD? At the time appointed I will return unto thee, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son.
b. God’s Power is often underestimated
1) Satan underestimated His power – - Isaiah 14:13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: (God could defeat a billion devils!)
2) The Unsaved underestimate His power – John 19:11 Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power [at all] against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin. (God could withstand any and all men!)
c. God’s Power is unlimited
1) Creation did not tax His power - Isaiah 45:18 For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I [am] the LORD; and [there is] none else.
2) Satan could not withstand His power - Jude 1:9 Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.
d. God’s Power is unleashable – We often fail to use His power because we are always working in our own! (Worketh in you)
2. This Doxology Speaks Of The Goodness Of God’s Power – “exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think”
a. He can succor those that are tempted - Hebrews 2:18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.
b. He can save those who come to Him - Hebrews 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.
c. He can subdue all of our fears - Psalms 34:4 I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.
d. He can supply all or our needs - Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
e. He can satisfy our every longing - Isaiah 58:11 And the LORD shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.
g. He can secure our future - Isaiah 42:6 I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;
1. This Doxology of Power should Humble Us – It is all of Him!
2. This Doxology of Power should Encourage Us – All is within our reach
3. This Doxology of Power should Challenge Us – This power works through us
4. This Doxology of Power should Instruct Us – To give all glory and praise to God