Sunday, October 3, 2010

How to Survive Spiritually In These Last Days

Temple Baptist Church - 10-3-2010

Galatians 1:1-5

Introduction: Jesus Christ died for us! Jesus Christ is delivering us! Jesus Christ will one day deliver us completely! Verse 5 says “GLORY”

A. In Paul’s introduction to the Galatians Epistle, he used the phrase “this present evil world.” Paul also made reference to this “evil world” in Ephesians 2:2-3, when he said:

“Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: 2:3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.”

B. We live in the most evil times in the history of man. Today, we have:

1. The wickedness of Noah’s Day - Genesis 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

2. The perversion of Lot’s Day - Romans 1:26-27 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: (27) And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

3. The prediction of Timothy’s Day - 2 Timothy 3:1-5 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. (2) For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, (3) Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, (4) Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; (5) Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

4. The apathy of Laodicea’s Day - Revelation 3:15-16 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. (16) So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

C. This is an evil world! Our world is:

1. Evil because of its direction – course of this world (Its course is downward! Things are progressively getting worse with the problem escalating with each day. As an avalanche going down a steep hill, morality is deteriorating more and more each day!)

2. Evil because of its god – the prince of the power of the air (Satan is truly the “god of this world” and the multitudes are spell-bound by his ways! Sinful people follow him while ignorant people worship him.)

3. Evil because of its spirit – disobedience (Disobedient to God, disobedient to God’s Word, disobedient to parents, disobedient to teachers, disobedient to law enforcement, disobedient to their bosses.)

4. Evil because of its sinfulness – lusts and desire of the flesh and mind (Murder, rape, sodomy, drugs, alcohol, lying, stealing, cheating, etc. These are wicked days. “Every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually!”)

D. How do we cope with this evil bombardment? How do we both survive and flourish as a child of God is such surroundings? Believers are falling to the wayside in record numbers. They may remain in the churches but are falling apart at home. They are discouraged, defiled, defeated, and devastated. How do we finish our course? How do we keep the faith?

1. By Being Delighted In God – Psalms 37:4 Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. (Worldly attraction brings about spiritual distraction.)

Psalms 43:4 Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God.

a. Look for good in everything - Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to [his] purpose.

b. Look for God in everything – Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord alway: [and] again I say, Rejoice.

2. By Being Dedicated To God - Psalms 40:8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law [is] within my heart. (Total surrender to God brings about victory over sin, self, and Satan.)

a. Surrender to God our way – Psalms 37:5 Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring [it] to pass. Surrender to God our will – Luke 22:42

b. Surrender to God our worries – 1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

3. By Being Directed By God - Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. (God will never lead you in a wrong path. His way is the way of safety.)

a. We should depend on His direction – Psalms 32:8 I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.

b. We should delight in His direction – Job 23:10-14 But he knoweth the way that I take: [when] he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. 11 My foot hath held his steps, his way have I kept, and not declined. 12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food. 13 But he is in one mind, and who can turn him? and what his soul desireth, even that he doeth. 14 For he performeth the thing that is appointed for me: and many such things are with him.

4. By Being Diligent For God – John 4:35 Say not ye, There are yet four months, and [then] cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest. (Idle hands are the devil’s workshop! I have been told that since I was a child.)

a. Diligently love God – Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

b. Diligently live for God – John 15:16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and [that] your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

5. By Being Dependent Upon God - Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. (Have faith in your salvation faith as well faith in your Saviour. God loved you enough to save you. He loves you enough to take care of you.)

a. Trust God With Your Problems - Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

b. Trust God With Your Provisions - Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

c. Trust God With Your Protection - Psalms 56:3-4 What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee. (4) In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.

No comments: