Wednesday, June 2, 2010

God’s Wisdom And Prudence

Temple Baptist Church - 6-2-2010

Ephesians 1:7-10

Introduction:

A. Ephesians is a wonderful book that gives insight into the wisdom and will of God for the believer. What a rich, wonderful book! In the first chapter, we see the infinite wisdom of God in both his foreknowledge and ability to carry out to perfection His sovereign will concerning mankind.

B. In verse 8, we find two words: wisdom and prudence in relation to God’s dealings with you and I. Not just wisdom but all wisdom; not just prudence but all prudence. God is all wise as He is wisdom personified.

C. I want to give a short definition of these two words:

1. Wisdom - a deep understanding and realizing of people, things, events or situations, resulting in the ability to choose or act to consistently produce the optimum results with a minimum of time and energy. Wisdom is the ability to optimally (effectively and efficiently) apply perceptions and knowledge and so produce the desired results. Wisdom is comprehension of what is true or right coupled with optimum judgment as to action.


2. Prudence - Careful management; economy

D. God knows everything about us: not only what we are doing but also what we will do in every circumstance of life.

Psalms 139:1-6 O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me. 2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off. 3 Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways. 4 For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether. 5 Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me. 6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.

E. God not only knows everything about us but He also cares about every aspect of our lives.

Matthew 10:29-31 Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. 30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.

F. With these two things in mind, we know that we can trust Him to meet every need that we have both now and forever!

1. In God’s Wisdom, He knew that man would sin. Psalms 39:5 Behold, thou hast made my days as an handbreadth; and mine age is as nothing before thee: verily every man at his best state is altogether vanity. Selah.

In God’s Prudence, He made a sacrifice for sin. Leviticus 17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

2. In God’s Wisdom, He knew that man would not come to Him. Genesis 3:7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

In God’s Prudence, He came to man. John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

3. In God’s Wisdom, He knew that man could not save himself. Romans 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

In God’s Prudence, He provided His son. John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

4. In God’s Wisdom, He knew that man could not remain saved. Romans 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

In God’s Prudence, He provided man with an eternal salvation. 1 John 5:11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.

5. In God’s Wisdom, He knew that man would need comfort. John 16:20 Verily, verily, I say unto you, That ye shall weep and lament, but the world shall rejoice: and ye shall be sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.

In God’s Prudence, He gave to man His Holy Spirit. John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

6. In God’s Wisdom, He knew that man needed constant help. John 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

In God’s Prudence, He gave man His Word. Psalms 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

7. In God’s Wisdom, He knew that man would often be lonely. Psalms 142:4 I looked on my right hand, and beheld, but there was no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul.

In God’s Prudence, He said I will be there with and for you. Hebrews 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

8. In God’s Wisdom, He knew that man would have troubles. Job 14:1 Man that is born of a woman is of few days, and full of trouble.

In God’s Prudence, He gave abundant grace. 2 Corinthians 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

9. In God’s Wisdom, He knew that man would need an eternal home. Ecclesiastes 12:5 Also when they shall be afraid of that which is high, and fears shall be in the way, and the almond tree shall flourish, and the grasshopper shall be a burden, and desire shall fail: because man goeth to his long home, and the mourners go about the streets:

In God’s Prudence, He made the New Jerusalem. John 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am an editor for Christian.com which is a social network dedicated to the christian community. As I look through your web site I feel a collaboration is at hand. I would be inclined to acknowledge your website offering it to our users as I'm sure our baptist audience would benefit from what your site has to offer. I look forward to your thoughts or questions regarding the matter.

Robert Wright
rev.robertwright@gmail.com
Christian.com