Sunday, May 9, 2010

A God Fearing Mother

Temple Baptist Church - 5-9-2010

Proverbs 31:30-31

Introduction:

A. Today is one of the most special days of the year: Mother’s Day. A day set aside to honor and praise the precious lady that brought me into the world. She has been with the Lord for over 5 years now but she will ever be embedded within my heart. I have been blessed with 3 very special “Mothers:”

1. I had a very special mother. I have often said that there is one word that described my mother: satisfied. She never complained and was satisfied with anything and everything that she had.

2. She placed her Lord first in her life. Mom was faithful in church and with her tithes and offerings as long as she lived. She loved her Lord and had a wonderful testimony of salvation. She loved her church and supported it with her presence, prayers, and possessions.

3. She loved her family. There was nothing that she would not do for her children. She gave her life for us and was always there when we needed her.

B. I had a very special mother-in-law. She loved me as if I were her very own. She never treated me differently than she did her natural children and, as long as she lived, I still had both a mother and a mom! I have been blessed.

C. I have a very special wife, the mother of my children. She is faithful to the Lord, her husband, her children, and her grand children. My two sons could not have found a finer mother to bring them into the world. She has given her life for them. I have been blessed to have been hers alone for the past 48 years. We dated for 7 years before being married the past 41. I tell her often and tell her again this morning: Barbara Lynn Simons Johnston, I love you with all of my heart and am having fun growing old with you!

D. I have been blessed to have—in this church—some very special ladies. I call them “My Girls.” I told one old biddy, “Don’t talk about My Girls!” Some fine ladies who love the Lord, their families, their church, and their pastor. Some people do not like me! So I say, “Go get them, girls!” Je. I want to say to each and every one of you this morning: “Happy Mother’s Day!” You both are and deserve the best. Our Mothers Should Be Honored! Ephesians 6:2,3 “Honour thy father and mother...”

1. Honor Her With Obedience - Ephesians 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. (The word “parents” is plural!)

2. Honor Her With Respect - Ephesians 6:2-3 Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;) (3) That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth. (If you want to live a long life, be careful how you treat your mother!)

3. Honor Her With Praise - Proverbs 31:28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her. (Never take for granted what she has done and is doing for you.)

E. A woman who fears the Lord is a rare jewel of great price. Vs. 10

A Mother That Fears The Lord

1. She Has A Wonderful Testimony Of Salvation.

2. She Has An Intimate Walk With The Lord.

3. She Spends Time In Personal Devotion.

4. She Loves Her Husband And Children.

5. She Finds Fulfillment In God’s Will For Her Life.

6. She Is Help To The Local Church.

7. She Is A Blessing To Her Pastor.

8. She Will Be Praised By All Who Love Her.

9. She Will Take A Front Seat At The Judgment Seat Of Christ.

No comments: