Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Stilling Of The Storm

Temple Baptist Church - 3-7-2010

Mark 4:35-41

Introduction:

A. One of the most notable and preaching on of all of the miracles of the Lord was the one I just read. It is one that I love the most also. The majesty of our Lord in this particular miracle is almost unparalleled! We sit this morning shaking our heads at the immeasurable power of our Lord Jesus Christ as He does that which only He can do.


B. The reality of storms in our lives. When we were children, we knew very little about the problems associated with growing up. As we became older, problems became more frequent and much larger than expected. I am not talking about physical storms such as Katrina but spiritual storms. These spiritual storms are much more difficult to weather than the physical ones. Physical storms can be avoided through forewarning and evacuation. Spiritual storms often come with no prior warning, leaving no chance to escape.

1. This particular storm caused spiritual doubt. (Master, carest thou not!)

C. Our song books are full of hymns written by saints who weathered spiritual storms. A couple of my favorites are:

“Till The Storm Passes By”

In the dark of the midnight have I oft hid my face;

While the storm howls above me and

There’s no hiding place.

Mid the crash of the thunder, precious Lord, hear my cry;

Hold me fast till the storm passes by.

Till the storm passes over, till the thunder sounds no more,

Till the clouds roll forever from the sky;

Hold me fast, let me stand, in the hollow of thy hand.

Keep me safe till the storm passes by.

“Stand By Me”

When the storms of life are raging, stand by me.

When the storms of life are raging, stand by me.

When the world is tossing me

Like a ship upon the sea;

Thou Who rulest wind and waters,

Stand by me!

D. It is so wonderful and easy to sing these songs and they both lift up our spirits and encourage our hearts but it quite another thing for us to sing them when in the midst of the storm! We can be spiritual when on the top of our spiritual mountain but walking through spiritual valleys is where the “rubber meets the road.”

E. I want to look at several things about this particular storm that we can often relate to.

1. This particular storm came without warning. (There arose.)

2. This particular storm came at the worst possible time. (Jesus was asleep.)

3. This particular storm was humanly insurmountable. (The ship was full of water.)

4. This particular storm was emotionally devastating. (They were in fear of perishing.) (Great storm – these men were seamen.)

F. The Lord was awakened, rose up, rebuked the wind and waves, and then said, “Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?” Our faith often wavers during these spiritual storms. This miracle is here for a reason. To teach us that we can trust the Lord who is always there in the storm with us and for us.

G. We see the awe and wonder of the disciples as they said one to another, “What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?” We know “what manner of man” our Lord is but often allow our circumstances and fears to over ride our faith.

SOME THINGS THAT WILL GET YOU THROUGH THE STORMS

1. Our Remembrance Of The Presence Of God – vs. 35 “let us” Hebrews 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. (The last time I look, He was still in the boat! Never, never, …!!)

Matthew 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

2. Our Remembrance Of The Promise Of God – vs. 35 “pass over” Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Hebrews 10:35 Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.

Philippians 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

3. Our Remembrance Of The People Of God – vs. 36 “they” Philippians 2:25 Yet I supposed it necessary to send to you Epaphroditus, my brother, and companion in labour, and fellowsoldier, but your messenger, and he that ministered to my wants.

Revelation 1:9 I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.

4. Our Remembrance Of Prayer To God – vs. 38 “say unto him” Jeremiah 33:3 Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not. (Verse 1 – Jeremiah was in prison.)

Philippians 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

1 John 5:14-15 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: 15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.

5. Our Remembrance Of The Power Of God – vs. 39 “He arose, and rebuked the wind…sea” Matthew 19:26-27 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible. 27 And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.

6. Our Remembrance Of The Peace Of God – vs. 39 “said unto the sea, Peace, be still.” Isaiah 26:3-4 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. 4 Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

7. Our Remembrance Of The Person Of God – vs. 41 “What manner of man is this?” 2 Timothy 4:17 Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion.

Acts 27:23 For there stood by me this night the angel of God, whose I am, and whom I serve, (Master! We know He is in the boat, but we often forget who He is!)

8. Our Remembrance Of The Purpose Of God – vs. 5:1 “they came over” 2 Timothy 4:18 And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

No comments: