Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Altar Of Worship

Temple Baptist Church - 2-14-2010

Hebrews 13:10-15

Introduction:

A. Paul, when ending his letter to the Hebrews, made mention of an altar. The Jewish believers were well aquainted with the concept of an altar as altars were used from Abraham until that present day.

1. An Altar Is A Place Of Sacrifice. A place of the smell of blood and death!

2. An Altar Is A Place Of Privilege. A right granted by the grace of God. We do not have any right outside of Calvary.

3. An Altar Is A Place Of Propitiation. Jesus Christ bore our sin and our reproach.

4. An Altar Is A Place Of Separation. Christ died without the camp. He was despised and rejected by the world.

5. An Altar Is A Place Of Identification. The child of God goes without the gate bearing His reproach.

B. Paul was speaking of a different altar than the one that they were well acquainted with. He was speaking of the sacrifice of Christ on the cross at Calvary. vs. 10-12

1. The cross of Christ was a willing sacrifice. It was an act of love.

2. The cross of Christ was an awful sacrifice. It was terrible in its price.

3. The cross of Christ was a beneficial sacrifice. It opened Heaven for those who believe.

C. Paul declared that those who continued to serve the tabernacle (a reference to the Old Testament priesthood) had no right to the altar at Calvary. Jesus Christ fulfilled the law (moral, civil, and ceremonial) and the continual sacrifices were a rejection of His sacrifice.

D. Paul then sets forth the obligation of the Christian. Vs. 13-16

1. Let us go forth without the camp. Losing our identity with the world.

2. Bearing His reproach. Identifying with our Lord Jesus Christ.

3. Seeking a city to come. Keeping our eyes on eternal things.

4. Offer praise continually. This is open praise or the fruit of our lips.


5. Let us do good and communicate. To live right and to witness of God’s grace.

E. I want to key on the phrase “let us offer the sacrifice of praises to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.” A liturgical deadness has entered our churches. Worship services (I use that term loosely) have become more ritualistic. There certainly is more form than fire. Our Lord’s commentary on the church of Sardis was that they had a name that they were alive and yet were dead.

F. The cause of this deadness and lack of praise is obvious.

1. There is the lukewarmness of Laodicea.

2. There is the materialistic society of our day.

3. There is the lack of persecution that keeps the church pure and hot.

4. There is the bombardment of worldly religion and a lack of godly, straight, sin killing preaching.

5. There is the growing carnality of God’s people.

6. There is the lack of prayer and Bible study that develop closeness to God.

G. The list could go on but this is not my subject. I want to look at praise for a few minutes. I will only use a few verses for time’s sake.

A. When Should We Praise The Lord?

1. All the day long - Psalms 34:1 I will bless the LORD at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.

Hebrews 13:15 By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.

Psalms 35:28 And my tongue shall speak of thy righteousness and of thy praise all the day long.

Psalms 113:3 From the rising of the sun unto the going down of the same the LORD’S name is to be praised.

Psalms 119:164 Seven times a day do I praise thee because of thy righteous judgments.

2. Praise Him continually - Psalms 52:9 I will praise thee for ever, because thou hast done it: and I will wait on thy name; for it is good before thy saints. (The praise of some is sporadic at best and those who run on emotions normally run out. We are not to praise God on emotions alone, but praise Him in both good and bad times.)

Psalms 104:33 I will sing unto the LORD as long as I live: I will sing praise to my God while I have my being.

3. Before church ever begins - Psalms 100:4 Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.

B. How Should We Praise The Lord?

1. Through Singing - Judges 5:3 Hear, O ye kings; give ear, O ye princes; I, even I, will sing unto the LORD; I will sing praise to the LORD God of Israel. (When God’s people really “get into” the singing, the worship service is greatly enhanced.)

2. Through remembrance and public thanksgiving - 1 Chronicles 16:4 And he appointed certain of the Levites to minister before the ark of the LORD, and to record, and to thank and praise the LORD God of Israel. (How sweet the service when God’s people begin to stand, weep, and praise His name in testimony.)

Psalms 66:8 O bless our God, ye people, and make the voice of his praise to be heard.

Psalms 67:3 Let the people praise thee, O God; let all the people praise thee. (Praise is to b e done by all.)

3. With loudness, not just quietness - Psalms 98:4 Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.

4. Through musical instruments - 1 Chronicles 23:5 Moreover four thousand were porters; and four thousand praised the LORD with the instruments which I made, said David, to praise therewith

5. With our whole heart - Psalms 9:1 I will praise thee, O LORD, with my whole heart; I will shew forth all thy marvellous works.

6. Increasingly instead of decreasingly - Psalms 71:14 But I will hope continually, and will yet praise thee more and more.

C. Where Should We Praise The Lord?

1. Praise Him in your private devotions - 1 Chronicles 23:30 And to stand every morning to thank and praise the LORD, and likewise at even.

2. Praise Him in the Church - Psalms 22:22 I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.

Psalms 22:25 My praise shall be of thee in the great congregation: I will pay my vows before them that fear him.

Psalms 27:6 And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the LORD.

Psalms 42:4 When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me: for I had gone with the multitude, I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holyday.

3. Praise Him in public - 2 Samuel 22:50 Therefore I will give thanks unto thee, O LORD, among the heathen, and I will sing praises unto thy name.

Psalms 40:3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.

D. Why Should We Praise The Lord?

1. Because of the glories and excellencies of His person - Exodus 15:11 Who is like unto thee, O LORD, among the gods? who is like thee, glorious in holiness, fearful in praises, doing wonders?

2 Samuel 22:4 I will call on the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies.

1 Chronicles 16:25 For great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised: he also is to be feared above all gods.

2. Because of the blessings received from him, and through him, both temporal and spiritual - Deuteronomy 10:21 He is thy praise, and he is thy God, that hath done for thee these great and terrible things, which thine eyes have seen.

3. Because of the grace, and all the blessings of it now communicated to us - 1 Chronicles 29:13 Now therefore, our God, we thank thee, and praise thy glorious name.

4. Because He loves you! - Psalms 63:3 Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee.

5. Because it fills the house of God with His glory - 2 Chronicles 5:13 It came even to pass, as the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD; and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of musick, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the LORD.

6. Because He has given us His Word - Psalms 56:4 In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.

Psalms 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

7. Because our children need to see it! - Psalms 78:4 We will not hide them from their children, shewing to the generation to come the praises of the LORD, and his strength, and his wonderful works that he hath done.

Psalms 79:13 So we thy people and sheep of thy pasture will give thee thanks for ever: we will shew forth thy praise to all generations.

Psalms 145:4 One generation shall praise thy works to another, and shall declare thy mighty acts.

8. BECAUSE IT IS GOOD, GOOD, GOOD! - Psalms 135:3 Praise the LORD; for the LORD is good: sing praises unto his name; for it is pleasant.

Psalms 150:1-6 Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power. Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness. Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp. Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs. Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals. Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.


No comments: