Temple Baptist Church - 6-28-2009
A. I know that I say this often but I am proud to be an American. Not a Dutch-English-Swedish American—for I never lived in any of those places—but an American! This is still my country and I am proud of it! With all of its faults and failures, it is still the greatest nation on the face of the earth and living here is both a privilege and right.
B. My introduction will be short because this verse is short and concise. It is self-explanatory!
1. In This Verse I Find A Realization – “Blessed” - We Are Blessed!
Psalms 33:12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance.
a. We are blessed with Liberty
1) Freedom of Movement - Go where you want; Go when you want; Go with who you want; WE ARE BLESSED!
2) Freedom of Speech - Say what you like; Say when you like; Say to whom you like; WE ARE BLESSED!
3) Freedom of Religion - Worship Who you like; Worship when you like; Worship where you like; Worship how you like; WE ARE BLESSED!
b. We are blessed with Wealth
1) We have Great Provision - Our cabinets are full of food; Our cities are full of grocery and convenient stores; our land is full of restaurants and Wal*Marts; Our homes are warm, cool, and dry; WE ARE BLESSED!
2) We have Great Possessions - Nice Homes; Nice Cars; Nice Toys; WE ARE BLESSED!
3) We have Great Potential (Pursuit of Happiness)
You can be what you want to be! You want to go to college? Scholarships and loans are available. You are limited by your ambition and dreams! WE ARE BLESSED!
c. We are blessed With Peace
1) National Protection (Global positioning and military posturing)
Our enemies have a hard time reaching us (We take war to them); Our enemies fear our might (Attack and you pay); Our enemies fear our resolve (War and we will not give up); WE ARE BLESSED!
2) Personal Protection (Law enforcement)
We live in safety; We move in safety; We sleep in safety; WE ARE BLESSED!
2. In This Verse I Find A Remembrance – “Whose God is the Lord” - Why We Are Blessed!
a. Remembrance Of God Should Bring Rejoicing
Psalms 144:9-15 I will sing a new song unto thee, O God: upon a psaltery and an instrument of ten strings will I sing praises unto thee. 10 It is he that giveth salvation unto kings: who delivereth David his servant from the hurtful sword. 11 Rid me, and deliver me from the hand of strange children, whose mouth speaketh vanity, and their right hand is a right hand of falsehood: 12 That our sons may be as plants grown up in their youth; that our daughters may be as corner stones, polished after the similitude of a palace: 13 That our garners may be full, affording all manner of store: that our sheep may bring forth thousands and ten thousands in our streets: 14 That our oxen may be strong to labour; that there be no breaking in, nor going out; that there be no complaining in our streets. 15 Happy is that people, that is in such a case: yea, happy is that people, whose God is the LORD.
1) Rejoicing in Satisfaction
2) Rejoicing in Worship
b. Remembrance Of God Should Bring Return
Psalms 9:17 The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.
Revelation 2:4-5 Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. 5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent. (The greatest national resource that America has is not her oil, coal, or mineral wealth. The greatest national resource that America has is the people of God!
1) A return to the Church House
2) A return to the Old Paths
3) A return to the Prayer Closet
4) A return to the Family Altar
5) A return to the Harvest Fields
c. Remembrance Of God Should Bring Resolve
Deuteronomy 4:5-9 Behold, I have taught you statutes and judgments, even as the LORD my God commanded me, that ye should do so in the land whither ye go to possess it. 6 Keep therefore and do them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the nations, which shall hear all these statutes, and say, Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people. 7 For what nation is there so great, who hath God so nigh unto them, as the LORD our God is in all things that we call upon him for? 8 And what nation is there so great, that hath statutes and judgments so righteous as all this law, which I set before you this day? 9 Only take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul diligently, lest thou forget the things which thine eyes have seen, and lest they depart from thy heart all the days of thy life: but teach them thy sons, and thy sons' sons;
1) A resolve to never forget Who our God is.
2) A resolve to never wander from His fount of Blessings!
Conclusion: Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord and cursed is the Nation that forgets God! Happy is THAT people!