Sunday, May 10, 2009

Behold Thy Mother

Temple 5-10-2009

John 19:25-28

Introduction:


A. First of all, I want to wish each of you precious mothers a happy Mother’s Day. I not only want to recognize the mothers but also all of the ladies. I love and appreciate the ladies of this church. As your pastor, I want to commend you for your love for the Lord, this church, and my family.

B. Second, I want to thank the ladies of this church. When I need something done, most of the time I can ask one of the ladies to do it and it gets done and done right. Thank God for Christian mothers and ladies.

C. This is your special day. A day set apart for recognition and appreciation for motherhood. Mothers need to be appreciated year around for their labor of love in taking care of their families.

Mothers... And... Others

Others weary of the noise,
Mothers play with girls and boys
Others scold because we fell.
Mothers kiss and make it well.
Others love us more or less
Mothers love with steadiness..
Others pardon, hating yet.
Mothers pardon and forget.
Others keep the ancient score,
Mothers never shut the door.
Others grow incredulous,
Mothers still believe in us.
Others throw their faith away,
Mothers pray, and pray and pray.
- - Amos R. Wells

Reflections of a Mother...

I gave you life, but cannot live it for you.
I can teach you things, but I cannot make you learn.
I can give you directions, but I cannot be there to lead you.
I can allow you freedom, but I cannot account for it.
I can take you to church, but I cannot make you believe.
I can teach you right from wrong, but I cannot always decide for you.
I can buy you beautiful clothes, but I cannot make you beautiful inside.
I can offer you advice, but I cannot accept it for you.
I can give you love, but I cannot force it upon you.
I can teach you to share, but I cannot make you unselfish.
I can teach you respect, but I cannot force you to show honor.
I can advise you about friends, but cannot choose them for you.
I can advise you about virtue, but I cannot keep you pure.
I can tell you the facts of life, but I can't build your reputation.
I can tell you about drink, but I can't say "no" for you.
I can warn you about drugs but I can't prevent you from using them.
I can tell you about lofty goals, but I can't achieve them for you.
I can teach you about kindness, but I can't force you to be gracious.
I can warn you about sins, but I cannot make you moral
I can pray for you, but I cannot make you walk with God.
I can tell you how to live, but I cannot give you eternal life.
I can love you with unconditional love all of my life..... and I will.
-Author Unknown

Before I was a Mom I made and ate hot meals.
I had unstained clothing.I had quiet conversations on the phone.
Before I was a Mom I slept as late as I wanted
And never worried about how late I got into bed.
I brushed my hair and my teeth every single day.
Before I was a Mom I cleaned my house each day.
I never tripped over toys or forgot words to lullabies.
Before I was a Mom I had never been Puked on, Pooped on, Spit on, Chewed on, Peed on.
Or pinched by tiny fingers
Before I was a Mom I had complete control of: My thoughts, My body, My mind.
And I slept all night.
Before I was a Mom I never looked into Teary eyes and cried.
I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin.
I never sat up late hours at night watching a baby sleep.
Before I was a Mom I never held a sleeping Baby just because I didn't want to put it down.
I never felt my heart break into a million Pieces when I couldn't stop the hurt.
I never knew that something so small Could affect my life so much.
I never knew that I could love someone so much.
I never knew I would love being a Mom.
Before I was a Mom I didn't know the feeling of having my heart walk around outside my body.
I didn't know how special it could feel to Feed a hungry baby.
I didn't know that bond between a Mother and her child.
I didn't know that something so small Could make me feel so important.
Before I was a Mom I had never gotten up in the middle Of the night every 10 minutes to make sure all was okay.
I had never known: The warmth, The joy, The love, The heartache, Thewonderment, Or the satisfaction of being a Mom.
I didn't know I was capable of feeling so much...BEFORE I was a Mom.

D. As I began to think about Mother’s Day my thoughts once again turned to Calvary. I have been preaching for several weeks on the death, burial, and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, so I think it befitting that I continue that process this special morning.

E. In the verses that I read, we find our Lord—as He was dying—taking care of Mary, His earthly mother. He was God and He was man. As man, He loved His mother! I want to give you a few thoughts for this Mother’s Day that will both help you and your wife or mother.

1. Love Her - Ephesians 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

Proverbs 10:1 The proverbs of Solomon. A wise son maketh a glad father: but a foolish son is the heaviness of his mother.

Proverbs 5:18-19 Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth. 19 Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love. (Men, love your wife! Children, love your mother!)

2. Respect Her - 1 Peter 3:7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered. (Honor means to place upon a pedestal. To worship and reverence her. Be careful how you treat your wife, husband! Be careful how you treat your mother, young person!)

Proverbs 15:20 A wise son maketh a glad father: but a foolish man despiseth his mother.

Proverbs 20:20 Whoso curseth his father or his mother, his lamp shall be put out in obscure darkness. (Be careful how you talk to her! You disrespect mama and you get in trouble with God!)

Proverbs 30:11 There is a generation that curseth their father, and doth not bless their mother.

Proverbs 30:17 The eye that mocketh at his father, and despiseth to obey his mother, the ravens of the valley shall pick it out, and the young eagles shall eat it.

Proverbs 31:28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her. (Place her on a pedestal in both the home and in public)

3. Remember Her - Proverbs 31:10 Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. (Sometimes her labor, love, and strength go unnoticed by her family. If you have a good, loving, faithful, conscientious wife—be grateful and thankful.)

Proverbs 15:20 A wise son maketh a glad father: but a foolish man despiseth his mother.

4. Relish Her – Proverbs 23:22 Hearken unto thy father that begat thee, and despise not thy mother when she is old.

Ecclesiastes 9:9 Live joyfully with the wife whom thou lovest all the days of the life of thy vanity, which he hath given thee under the sun, all the days of thy vanity: for that is thy portion in this life, and in thy labour which thou takest under the sun. (One day, she will be here no longer! When she is gone, make sure that you have no regrets! I miss greatly mom and dad.)

John 19:26-27 When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! 27 Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home. (The last act of our Lord Jesus Christ was to make sure that mother was cared for in the best way possible. The disciple “whom he loved.”)

Conclusion: Again, I want to wish each dear lady here this morning a very special Mother’s Day. You deserve it!

No comments: